Lounger
    Thanks

Bypass NTFS Access Control in an emergency

As I wrote previously, my flatmate's computer is now in a state that precludes her from accessing her system drive, C: We've tried various methods to reset the access but nothing seems to work. Now, she just wants to get around this, retrieve some important data that the refresh of Windows 8 should have left intact, flatten the drive, reinstall Windows 7 from scratch, install Windows 8 as a dual boot system and then reinstall her applications.

I think I mentioned before that we would have tried to perform various "rescue" tasks using Live linux CD's, but that neither of the versions we had - Knoppix and Slax - both a few years old, would actually boot on her system.

I'm now looking for new versions of those (or any others that might be available) together with a "file management" utility that is capable of manipulating NTFS structures without paying any attention to any Windows Access Control.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Also, I posted this request in the Windows 8 Forum because that's the software she's having trouble with. However, as I'm asking about solutions involving linux, I realise that it could perhaps have been posted in a different Forum. If that's the case, please tell me. I apologise for getting it wrong and I'll move it appropriately.

Thanks and regards,

Noel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

oldmoel (2013-04-01)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks,

Trying that now ...

Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib,

Thanks again. Created a live CD with Ubuntu as suggested and, after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with the differences in the UI because of the different versions, we were able to retrieve a lot of information from the "not accessible" drive. Tomorrow (well, later today actually) we'll need to check what exactly was rescued before we go any further, but it looks as though my flatmate's problems with her system will finally be solved!

Regards,

Noel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Great, am glad you managed to recover her data.

Moving past this, she may want to use a new backup strategy to avoid similar situations. Imaging is much recommended strategy around here and it can spare some headaches.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Another trick which might have worked for you would be to map an unused drive letter to the C: drive.

Go into My Computer, and see which drive letters are available (i.e. not currently in use). Map one of them to C:\.

Now try to access C: by opening the newly-mapped drive.

This has worked for me in Windows XP, but I'm not sure if it would work in Windows 8.