New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Crashed - Keeps on getting stuck in Repair System

Hi there.

I have Windows 7 installed on my computer. A couple days ago I got hit by the Malware Sirefef.gen!C and I successfully cleaned utilizing McAfee Stingray, Avira and Microsoft Security Essentials. It seems like the Virus was gone and there no problems since for a few days I could log in back to normal.

But I then decided to do a more thorough Scan of my computer utilizing all my Virus tools (McAfee Stingary, Avira and Microsoft Essentials). Just to make sure every nook and cranny of my computer was clean and there wasn't some "inactive" Trojan or viruses sitting on my hard drive just waiting to be excecuted. And basically it was Microsoft Essentials which was recommended after its initial scan it wanted to reboot and then scan again after the reboot to do a complete check. All seemed well and more computer seemed like it was move cclean fast so I thought nothing of it.

When it rebooted is saw this message saying "LOADING WINDOWS" and then a progress bar which I hadn't seen before. And then it jumped to this System Repair screen where it would try to scan for problems. And it wouldn't find anything. It keeps on looping and restarting and going back to that screen.

I tried rebooting in Safe Mode and same problem. I did manage to be able to jump to command prompt and thought maybe the Master Boot record got corrupted or something. And ran the following commands :

bootrec.exe /FixMbr
    bootrec.exe /FixBoot

That didn't work either. Then I tried repairing with the Windows 7 DVD in the drive from a copy a bought awhile ago (Although wasn't that wasnt the exact version installed on my computer. Since I purchased it from HP and I don't recall them sending me a Windows 7 disk). That didnt work either.

I'm not so sure if its relevant but when thumbing around in the repair area it seems to refer to windows being in d:\windows. And originally my windows directory was c:\windows. There was a second partition on my computer when I bought it in drive d:\ which I never would look at. I'm not so sure if that's a backup partition that HP installed as a fail over partition. Or if just my c:\ somehow got reallocated to d:\ accidently.

Any advice on the matter? I don't want to do a complete re-install yet since I feel it could be just a matter of fixing the integrity of a few files. As my suspicion is when I ran the Virus scan some of the files required for login might have accidently gotton put in quaratine or something. And I have allot of programs setup which would take me a month to re-initialize them.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Download Windows Defender Offline (either 32bit or 64bit, whichever you're running), install it to a USB drive (the download takes care of all that), then boot it up and let it scan. It will go online to get the latest definitions, and then start the scan. Just follow the prompts - Don't interrupt it.

Post back with your results.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! I will try that and post the results. However I don't think its a virus problem anymore. I just think just the Windows Login got corrupted or something. Since before I rebooted Windows it was working just fine and was fine for a couple days after catching the initial virus.

Not sure if my system can boot to a USB drive. Would have to put it to a DVD.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope you haven't got more than one virus scanner installed at a time as they can interfere with each other.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds like you're in a "Startup Repair" Loop. If you can get to a command prompt, this command should break you out of that..

bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No

I worked on a machine that had been upgraded from Vista to 7, and startup repair from Vista seemed to be running. I used that command to break out of the loop, but that only took me to BSOD territory - would up having to Wipe and Reload.

Good Luck
    John Brown
    Halifax, NS