Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Really need help on Win 7 32 boot issue

Hello folks,
    NEED your help - PLEASE.
    Overview - Win 7, 32, HPrem., - This pc has worked very very very well for three years - you can just depend on it to boot up and do the job.
    I do weekly back-ups, Defrag weekly, run CC Cleaner / Malewarebytes - and it's primarily used for business and "the wifes' pc".
    Yesterday, I had been doing some QuickBooks work, checking my email - and I left it for about thirty minutes to eat my dinner.
    When I returned, the pc was off. - Seemed strange.........
    I pressed the power button and it would come on for about two seconds and quit. - I opened, checked connections, status lights on mb were fine etc.
    This kept happening. I then un-plugged the pc - took it to my garage and blew the dust bunnies out and fired it up - it quit in about 4 seconds.
    I then replaced the cmos battery, and it would then fire up, the mb showed the beloved FF on the display.

I took the pc back inside, plugged in keyboard, mouse, dvi, ethernet, shoved it back into it's nest and fired up.
    Went to bios and reset my standard settings and fire-up order, saved those and booted up. "WELL", it would get to the 4 flags Win Welcome and the hd would stop. Tried this several times and same results. .....I tried to boot to safe-mode, tried to boot to safe-mode with networking, tried to boot with command prompt, tired a system repair, tried Sys Restore to an earlier, AND all would stop - no hd activity.

When I tried to do a "repair system", I got an error code 0xc000000e that device could not be found - am I SURE it's the CD....however, the cd had worked perfectly......I changed the USB port on mb for the CD, I made sure in bios that the CD was set up to be recognized...

OK - AFTER I know 50 times trying to boot and see if CD was recognized and trying to get into Safe-Mode with Command Prompt - ONE time it loaded on
    up to Win 7 and Desktop. I did a System Restore and moved it back two days, MADE sure all of my data was backed up, and frankly, used the pc.

SORRY for all of the discertation, but I wanted you folks to see all I have done.

This am, I booted up and "again", it stops reading the hard drive at the Windows flags and Welcome..........I have tried multiple times to get it to boot to safe mode with command prompt, and the hard drive just stops. AND, I cannot get the CD to be recognized to to a "Repair" or a System Restore.

PLEASE tell me what I need to do next. Your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks and have a blessed day.

Tom

Thanks
    You said you replaced the CMOS battery. Did you reset the date and time to the correct values?

Do you have a spare power supply you could swap for testing purposes?

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Jerry,
    Yes sir, I made sure the date/time were reset to correct values.
    Now, the pc starts, runs for about 45 seconds, (MB readout is FF, which is fine) - and then shuts down.
    I'm going out for about an hour...upon return, I'm going to swap out the PSU.......it could be the culprit.............and again, it could be the cpu overheating...
    BUT, it's a start.
    Thanks so much and I'll report back.
    Tom

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Could try getting some heat sink compound and re-seating the CPU and cooler.
    You could also try removing the ram sticks one at a time to see if one is faulty. Put just one in and if it boots (even slowly) then fit them back one at a time checking boot if it fails then the last stick fitted is likely to be the faulty one.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Sounds like there is a bad component in the system. Possibly it is overheating.

In addition to all that has been suggested already, you might try changing video cards, or adding a video card if the one you have is built-in. Get a cheap one, if you don't have a spare available. It will do just as well for purposes of this test as will an expensive one.

If that doesn't fix it for you, then look for any optional items that can be removed, such as an analog modem.

Another possibility -- if you have an extra hard drive, put it in instead of the one you are currently using, and do a fresh install of Windows. If everything works after doing that, then the problem was either with the hard drive or with Windows. And since you did the install on a separate hard drive, you won't overwrite anything in the process.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Curiousclive,
    Just got back home. I'm going to start with PSU, then move to re-seating the CPU, then I'll move to the ram.
    Will report back. Thanks so very much.
    Tom

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello mrjimphelps,
    I'm in process now of changing out PSU - will try that when buttoned up. I have put a new 500 gig WD in - for purposes of a fresh install.
    And IF the new PSU doesn't do the trick: and in order:
    1. Reseat the CPU
    2. Isolate ram by the stick
    3. I do have an nVidia 8800 that works fine that I can try.

I do not have an analog modem....not much left to remove.

The biggie here is getting access to the DVD to do repair / repair install / or fresh install.

Thanks - I'll report back.

APPRECIATE all of you folks help.

Tom

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cthiggin View Post
    The biggie here is getting access to the DVD to do repair / repair install / or fresh install.
    Tom, if you're having a problem with your DVD drive, you might try a few things:

1. Plug it into a different port on the motherboard.
    2. Try a different cable.
    3. If it's IDE, try a SATA DVD drive. (This happened to me about a year ago -- my IDE DVD drive would not work for a fresh Windows install, but it worked for everything else. I tried a couple of IDE drives - same for all of them. I then tried a SATA drive, and I haven't had any problems since.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At this point, it "APPEARS" to be working....needs further testing....But, with the install of a different PSU, seemed to correct situation.
    I will report back and let you folks know if there are still issues.

ALSO, where do I d/l the Win 7 32 HP "SP1" so I can make a bootable disk for re-install or repair?
    Thanks so much folks - I highly appreciate each and everyone of you and your thoughts and help.
    Have a most blessed one.
    Tom

Thanks
    Tom,

IMHO, don't bother with reinstall disks. Use a disk imaging tool like Macrium Reflect Free or EaseUs To Do Backup. If you take images regularly and keep a couple generations you should be covered and restoring an image will only take 30 minutes to an hour depending on how much stuff you have vs reinstalling Windows and then having to reinstall all your programs. Plus with the image all of your settings and customizations are restored in the same operation. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,
    You are absolutely correct.
    I want to have a "newer Win 7 32 Disk" to replace my original one that does NOT have SP1 on it. With this disk, should I have an older Disk Image, I can always do a repair install and leave the majority of settings intact. I had to do this once on my Win 7 64 bit machine and it worked great. Since I have SP1, I cannot use the original Win 7 disk for a repair install.
    Thanks, Tom

Thanks
    Tom,

With Macrium Reflect you can make a bootable CD/USB Key/or even to a separate partition on your backup disk, see this post for more info. No need for the Win 7 disk at all. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tom,
    You can find a link to download an sp1 iso image here.

http://www.w7forums.com/official-win...ds-t12325.html

Rich

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    rlfvt,
    Thank you sir.
    Have a blessed day.

FYI - the PC is working fine "today"....so, PSU it was. (me thinks)

Tom

Thanks
    It's always a great feeling when you finally get these things resolved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast