2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Better manager for services?

Is there a better utility to manage services than the one that appears in the default MS Management Console? One that allows the user to highlight or flag services to easily return to them? One that will wrap the text description? Maybe sort other than alphabetical?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Click on any of the column headers to sort by that column. What sort of management do you want to do? What is your objective?

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
    Is there a better utility to manage services than the one that appears in the default MS Management Console? One that allows the user to highlight or flag services to easily return to them? One that will wrap the text description? Maybe sort other than alphabetical?
    The short answer: NO.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Auggie (2013-04-02)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to be able to find particular services quickly and easily.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought I had seen something for this and went digging.

The SysInternals program "Autoruns" has a "Services" tab, but it's not sortable by column.

Then I saw the SysInternals program called "PsService", it can be found here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb897542

The description form the page says:
    "PsService is a service viewer and controller for Windows. Like the SC utility that's included in the Windows NT and Windows 2000 Resource Kits, PsService displays the status, configuration, and dependencies of a service, and allows you to start, stop, pause, resume and restart them. "

I use some SysInternals utilities daily(Process Explorer as a replacement for Task Manager, Autoruns, ZoomIT), however this is NOT one of them.
    Maybe it's useful to you.....

Good Luck!
    brino

8. The Following User Says Thank You to brino For This Useful Post:

Auggie (2013-05-23)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
    Is there a better utility to manage services than the one that appears in the default MS Management Console?
    YES THERE IS
    ServiWin from Nirsoft
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/serviwin.html

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alan.b For This Useful Post:

Auggie (2013-05-23)