Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to upgrade to Windows 7

I've recently bought W7 Home Premium to upgrade my old Acer desktop.

It came new in 2008 with Vista and I quickly upgraded using the supplied OEM XP Pro disk set. In waranty the hard disk failed to boot and was returned to Acer. It came back with Vista and I had to re-install XP again.

Now I've bought a larger new HDD and can't get W7 to work.

On the first attempt, W7 installed but would not accept the Product Key, so I continued. Some time later, it reported that the W7 was not genuine. Going online automatically to a MS website provided no workable solution.

The OEM XP Pro disk set, will now not install. An old XP Pro Original disk will not install. W7 upgrade will install but wont register.

I keep getting 'NTLDR is missing' and a re-boot again fails.

I've never been requested to install an OEM disk to validate the old version for an upgrade to W7.

I guess that MS has stopped using this method to verify the old OS prior to installing an upgrade.

Any suggestions?

I have a spare USB HDD. Is it possible to make the USB bootable using the old HHD with XP working on it and then booting from the USB disk after changing over the OS HDD.

The PC has a second HHD fitted that holds all of my data, so I don't need to save the data again. I also want a 'clean' installation of W7, without carrying over any problems from an older OS.

Thanks
    When you install the Windows 7 upgrade, it will look for a valid copy of Windows that qualifies you for the upgrade. If it can't find one on your hard drive, it will ask you to insert the install disk from the previous version of Windows, so as to verify that you have a valid copy of Windows.

Once it is satisfied that you are eligible for the upgrade, you can then do a custom install and tell it to erase what is there and install a completely fresh copy of Windows 7. You even have the option of removing whatever partitions exist and then creating one partition for the whole drive, and then installing Windows 7 in the new partition. (Doing so will wipe out any recovery partition which may be on the drive.)

Try the upgrade again, and see if you can get it to work. If you can get Windows 7 fully installed but not activated, you can always call the number on the screen and ask Microsoft to give you the activation code. They probably will.

Once you get everything completely finished and up-and-running, it would be a really good idea to do a complete backup of the hard drive, so that you can simply restore the backup should something go wrong in the future.

Thanks
    A Windows 7 upgrade disk does not require the presence of a previous OS for verification. There are well documented work-arounds for this;

W7 Forums: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

Ensure your W7 Home Premium disk is valid. (Upgrade disk or otherwise)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I was going to ask where the Win 7 DVD was acquired from? Is the source a valid source?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    When you install the Windows 7 upgrade, it will look for a valid copy of Windows that qualifies you for the upgrade. If it can't find one on your hard drive, it will ask you to insert the install disk from the previous version of Windows, so as to verify that you have a valid copy of Windows.
    Thanks for your reply, however if you read my original posting you will see that W7 has never requested a previous version (OEM) disk. I've attempted to install a few times.

If you can get Windows 7 fully installed but not activated, you can always call the number on the screen and ask Microsoft to give you the activation code. They probably will.
    Never displays any phone number, but did request my full name and address to post something to.

Once you get everything completely finished and up-and-running, it would be a really good idea to do a complete backup of the hard drive, so that you can simply restore the backup should something go wrong in the future.
    That's what I did on my new laptop - three DVDs. But that is a Panasonic Pro 64 bit version, so not suitable for a Dell. The OEM Acer XP disks also wont now install after failed attempts at installing W7.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I was going to ask where the Win 7 DVD was acquired from? Is the source a valid source?
    Bought new from Amazon UK and the disks show the holographic images.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    A Windows 7 upgrade disk does not require the presence of a previous OS for verification. There are well documented work-arounds for this;

W7 Forums: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

Ensure your W7 Home Premium disk is valid. (Upgrade disk or otherwise)
    Thanks for the link - I'll try that. The disks were bought new from Amazon UK and they show the holographic images.

I've been updating Windows from version 1 and although often had problems with doing FDISK etc. prior to an install, have always succeeded.

Thanks for your advice.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks CLiNT.

I've now got W7 running and registered on the new larger HDD.

While posting, I'd put an image of the XP C: volume on an old USB HDD. I had that connected and also had to go into the BOIS to change boot device a few times before I was able to switch HDDs.

The double install and then manually register on-line worked.

Many thanks for your advice.