4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mobile device to help my phone find Wi-Fi?

Hi, I wanted to know if there existed a mobile device that I could connect to my mobile phone to access wifi hotspots in a secure fashion. Thank you.

Thanks
    Moon,

What type of phone do you have. Most smart phones have Wi-fi built in you just have to turn it on and connect to a network. Now that part about "in a secure fashion" is another ball of wax when talking about public wi-fi. You could use a Virtual Private network {VPN} provider to get a fair level of security. I think there was a Windows Secrets newsletter article about it recently. Google VPN providers.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Retired Geek. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. When I am away from home, the phone does search for a Wi-fi network to connect to. However, the other day it could not find one. So I was wondering if there were a portable devices to boost the phone's search range. I will try to find the Windows Secrets newsletter.

Thanks for your response. Have a Good one...

Moon

Thanks
    Moon,

Wi-Fi has a limited range. If your Note 2 can't find a hotspot, they are not in range.

As to Security, until someone develops a Mobile Firewall that does not require Rooting [are you listening Comodo], you are totally vulnerable!

My Note 2 detects my home network with no problem. But that is the only way I have a Firewall access, thru my Router. Otherwise, I am as susceptible as you when I go out on the Internet.

Other than that, how is your Note 2 working?

hammondmike

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

You could download and install Avast Anti virus (or another Anti virus for mobiles) then at least you will have some protection against malware and virus'. It may not be 100% but something is better than nothing.
    There is a firewall that does not require rooting called Mobiwol:no root firewall for Android.
    Don't know how good it is but may be worth looking into.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2013-04-20 at 17:00.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks