New Lounger
    Thanks

Error 0x80004005 Installation Woes

Hi all,

I've been trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on a friend's ssd. When I get to the screen early on that asks for which partition to install Windows to, I get this error 0x80004005 “Failed To create a new partition on selected unused space” while trying to create a new partition on the ssd.

To remedy the problem, I had a RAID array setup for data as well as the ssd for his OS, so I pulled the power plugs and SATA cables from them so that only the ssd shows up for the Windows installer; I've also disabled SATA 3.0 in the BIOS, and set all SATA ports to IDE mode (0-3 were RAID before: he's getting a RAID 10 drive array for his data). I have the ssd attached to port 4 (4-5 are set to IDE, with 5 connected to the optical drive).

I've also run the full battery of hard drive tests on the ssd (and the four regular hdd's too) with PC-Doctor 7.9, passed all tests; Ubuntu also confirms the SMART status is Healthy for all five drives. So I am ruling out drive failure.

I recently had a nightmare problem just prior to this trying to restore an image of my friend's OS and installed programs from a year ago: turns out the image disc set appears busted, and the ssd kept reporting black screens of MBR boot failure. It was created with Windows Backup & Restore. Here's a link to the old thread I started on that problem, if interested.

I'm thinking it might need to be plugged into port 0 for some reason? Which would ruin the RAID 10 array plan (unless optical drives work with RAID?! - because I'd have to set all 6 SATA ports to RAID to get the ssd in port 0). I also thought the failed imaging potentially caused the ssd to go haywire, but I can't imagine why the image restore would touch the low-layer manufacturer's formatting for the drive so I tend to doubt this. But I lack any more ideas as to why this is happening.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Port shouldn't matter, hasn't for me at least, but it it's an Intel board, 0 and 1 or 1 and 2 are probably the faster SATA 6 ports and the rest may be SATA 3. Not important if it's SATA 3 for all ports; however you should not disable any SATA 3 ports at this time and leave them at AHCI instead of IDE.

Have you tried writing a new MBR and formatting the SSD ahead of time on another Win 7 or 8 system and then try installing without formatting.

Failing progress, you might try a soft reset of the BIOS and then a hard reset if nothing shakes out.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks FUN,

I figured the port shouldn't matter, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. By SATA 3, I mean SATA 3.0 (6 Gbps) not SATA 2.0 (3 Gbps); SATA has ridiculously confusing terminology. The ssd is an older one from a couple years back which runs at under 3 Gbps anyway (2.2 or 2.4, somewhere around there), so no speed loss worries. But I'll re-enable it though, as disabling it had no effect.

I have tried writing a new MBR with both Bootsec (from the command prompt in Windows Recovery) and also again with a partitioning utility I have called BootIt Bare Metal. No dice. Tried a Windows Repair before that a couple times with my Windows Recovery disc and it claimed to have repaired a corrupted boot sector.

I haven't tried working with the BIOS yet though (other than disabling SATA 3.0) - good idea. It's a new mobo, but maybe there's a BIOS update for issues related to this problem. I'll check to see if there is one. I'm not sure what you mean by soft or hard reset of the BIOS - you mean Ctrl-Alt-Delete (soft reset) and then shutdown and turn on again (hard reset)? Already tried that, even hit the 1/0 button on the psu and pressed & held the power button for a few seconds when the desktop was turned off.

Thanks
    Have you tried Diskpart on the SSD?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

BrianMJC (2013-04-02)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Soft reset would be in the BIOS, reset to default or safe settings, sometimes you'll find a place to enable hardware configuration detection as well. Hard reset is either pull the CMOS battery and short the contacts while pressing the power button (all with not power to the system of course) for a few seconds or jumper the clear cmos 2-3 pins and put it back on the 1-2 pins.

Sounds more like it might be a SSD issue though. Have you tried just using it as a data drive on another system? See what parameters (disk management) a working system returns for the drive, writing and reading work with several large files?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

BrianMJC (2013-04-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey bbearren,

No, I haven't. Guess I'll try that next. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FUN,

Okay, there was an updated version of the BIOS, but the update didn't make a dent.

I will try both BIOS resets. I actually recall that now, haven't had to do that in many years and forgot about that trick.

Yeah, I am fearing the ssd was screwed up by the bad image restore attempts I tried before trying to install Windows from scratch (it was fine before). Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried a soft CMOS reset - no effect. I then tried a hard CMOS reset - no effect.

I just tried the CLEAN command in Diskpart, and confirmed no partitions now show up (they kept reappearing in the Windows installer and in BootIt). Now I'm waiting for Windows installer to boot from disc to attempt to create the system and primary partitions for installing Windows.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, the CLEAN didn't work either, same problem.

I'm going to go ahead and call it: the ssd must have been damaged irreparably by the bad image restore. I'm going to copy my friend's docs via Ubuntu to an external drive, and ship them to him (he's got critical work to do), and will wait for him to ship me a new ssd to replace this one.

From now on, I'm using Image for DOS to image partitions instead of the Windows utility, lol.

Thanks again guys.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's hard to believe that a software issue actually broke the hardware......I'm thinking that the SSD is failing and that's what stopped the image restore.

You mentioned that the SSD was a few years old.
    Was there any hint of it failing before this?
    Do you find anything useful if you google the ssd make/model?

Good Luck!
    brino

BTW, How do you like Boot-It Bare Metal? I've looked at it a few times, but never tried/bought it.