5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two ways to put Windows 7 and 8 on the same PC

BEST PRACTICES

Two ways to put Windows 7 and 8 on the same PC

By Lincoln Spector

For numerous reasons, you might want to have Windows 8 and Windows 7 on the same PC.
    There are two common techniques for installing multiple operating systems on one machine. Here's how to choose between the two.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-practices/two-ways-to-put-windows-7-and-8-on-the-same-pc/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2013-04-03 at 19:39.

Thanks

Windows 8 Dual Booting Misinformation

"When you install Windows 8 on your real computer, the installation process sees Windows 7 and treats the Win8 install as an upgrade — even if you’re installing it onto another partition, which you should. That means you can use a cheaper Windows 8 Upgrade instead of a full OEM version."
    This statement is in direct contradiction to everything Microsoft has published, including their Windows 8 Pro EULA.

In fact, ONLY System Builder Edition (much more expensive than the Upgrade Edition) is legal for a dual-boot setup. Please read the tech press, or do a dual-boot setup yourself, before publishing misleading information about dual-booting with Windows 8.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/dual-bo...and-windows-7/

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-and-windows-7

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/lice...e-license.aspx

I have heard of folks using the Upgrade Version in dual-booting, but it is clearly not legal, and does violate the License Terms.

The reason this confusion persists seems to be the cost of System Builder Personal Use License vs. the Upgrade License for Windows 8. But the Terms of the EULAs could not be more clear. Dual-boot REQUIRES a PUL System Builder License.

By the way, under Windows 7, you might get away with using a Windows 8 Upgrade License in a VM, but this too may not be legal under the Windows 7 and Windows 8 EULAs. I don't have a lawyer in my vest pocket, so this aspect of Windows 7 VMs is unclear to me.

It is irresponsible to publish information which is misleading or just plain wrong. Basic knowledge around Windows Secrets (Woody Leonhard's extensive series of Windows 8 articles, for example) was apparently ignored by the author of this article. Very unprofessional!
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-04-04 at 07:09.
    -- Bob Primak --

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

mlg63 (2013-04-04)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi - just read your column in the latest windows secrets. About this paragraph:

"Enabling sharing is usually an additional setup process, after you've set up the guest OS. When it goes smoothly, it's no great challenge. But that's not always the case: I've yet to successfully make Windows 8, running inside VirtualBox, share files and folders with my host Win7 system."

Just wondered - have you tried using Box or Dropbox to do this? Maybe not as direct, so not what you're looking for, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Box or Dropbox should work fine, however, that implies a bridged connection on the part of the VM, which means the host and VM are on the same network on a peer to peer basis, all regular network sharing and mapping of network drives works just fine. Also, at least in VMWare player, its very easy to set up local disk sharing between host and VM in VMware VM settings/options/shared folders. I just share all the drives on the host except the system drive and they all map as one large network drive location, many terabytes per system as a rule.

In short, I've never had even a slight problem with sharing both locally and peer to peer. I was using XP instead of Win 7 though, but that shouldn't make a difference.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried the upgrade with bad results

I tried what you suggested when Windows 8 was released. I split my current C: drive into two drives, and copied the contents into both partitions. I set up dual booting and confirmed that I could boot Windows 7 in either partition. So far, so good. Then I purchased the $50 upgrade to Windows 8 and installed it in one of the partitions. This also worked fine. But when I tried to reboot to the Windows 7 partition, I was informed that that version of Windows was not genuine and I could do nothing with it. My conclusion is that Microsoft detected that I was running both a version of Windows 7 and an upgraded version as Windows 8 and disabled the Windows 7 version as it had been upgraded and was no longer valid.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [B]Windows 8 upgrade works in VM[B]

Just install windows 8 upgrade in the VM and don't activate it. Reboot and reinstall it and activate it then use it. It works fine for me on a Win 7 host w/8 GB ram and500 GB HD. VM uses 2 GB ram and 60 GB HD.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Box or Dropbox should work fine, however, that implies a bridged connection on the part of the VM, which means the host and VM are on the same network on a peer to peer basis, all regular network sharing and mapping of network drives works just fine. Also, at least in VMWare player, its very easy to set up local disk sharing between host and VM in VMware VM settings/options/shared folders. I just share all the drives on the host except the system drive and they all map as one large network drive location, many terabytes per system as a rule.

In short, I've never had even a slight problem with sharing both locally and peer to peer. I was using XP instead of Win 7 though, but that shouldn't make a difference.
    A bridged connection? Unless I'm missing something, all you need is for each instance to have a network connection, out to the internet. These are cloud services, right? So no connection is needed between each O/S...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well by default, unless home networks are separated or/and there are separate Internet connections to two example PC's, all the PC's are on a home network and connections between PC's is going to be much faster than going out to the cloud and back. Its like bouncing a signal off a satellite and back to Earth to call the next door neighbor vs. having a chat across the hedge.

Also since we're speaking of at least one VM here, it has no real network adapter, it piggybacks on the host's real adapter and the easiest way of providing a Internet connection for the VM is to bridge the virtual adapter with the real adapter, which of course also makes the VM a part of the local network with the host and other computers on the same network.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
    I tried what you suggested when Windows 8 was released. I split my current C: drive into two drives, and copied the contents into both partitions. I set up dual booting and confirmed that I could boot Windows 7 in either partition. So far, so good. Then I purchased the $50 upgrade to Windows 8 and installed it in one of the partitions. This also worked fine. But when I tried to reboot to the Windows 7 partition, I was informed that that version of Windows was not genuine and I could do nothing with it. My conclusion is that Microsoft detected that I was running both a version of Windows 7 and an upgraded version as Windows 8 and disabled the Windows 7 version as it had been upgraded and was no longer valid.
    The Upgrade took over your Windows 7 license, even if you didn't see it do so. This was the cause of your (OEM) Windows 7 license being declared not valid. Only with Windows 8 Pro System Builder is it possible to install Windows 8 and Windows 7 (OEM or full) onto the same computer, dual-boot or Virtual Machine. That $49.00 Upgrade was just that -- an Upgrade. Not a Full Version. Fred got it wrong on this point.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromaine3 View Post
    [B]Windows 8 upgrade works in VM[B]

Just install windows 8 upgrade in the VM and don't activate it. Reboot and reinstall it and activate it then use it. It works fine for me on a Win 7 host w/8 GB ram and500 GB HD. VM uses 2 GB ram and 60 GB HD.
    Was this the post-release Upgrade?

How do you use Windows 8 apps without "registering" Windows 8? How do you have most of the Windows 8 features if you haven't activated the installation, even in a VM? How do you "reinstall" on a VM? How do you "activate" Windows 8 without "registering" it? Your claim looks wrong.
    -- Bob Primak --