Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft's six free desktop security tools

TOP STORY

Microsoft's six free desktop security tools

By Fred Langa

These free utilities can prevent or cure trouble caused by viruses, worms, spyware, keyloggers, and other kinds of unwanted software. Whether you're keeping your PC free from malware or cleaning up a PC that's already infected, one or more of these tools should get the job done!

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/microsofts-six-free-desktop-security-tools (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info, I had not previously heard of WDO. A bootable AV/AM scanner could come in handy.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had great luck with Norton's free tools, Norton Power Eraser and Norton Bootable Recovery Tool.
    http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/overview.aspx?

They include a rollback function if you delete something important.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if WDO works with Win 8 if secure boot is enabled?

Only time I ever came close to becoming infected/ransom-wared is when windows defender was emulated perfectly. There was a "lurch" and I realized I didn't have it on that system...not having A-V saved my bacon!
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-04-04 at 03:39.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone else having problems trying to burn this tool, WDO? I've tried with 3 different USB drives and 2 brand new Verbatim CDs and get these error messages:
    With USB drive:
    There was a problem adding files to the selected USB flash drive
    Using USB drive - error code: 0008-80070003

With blank CD:
    Unable to proceed with the required action
    An error has prevented this tool from continuing. Please try again.
    Using blank CD - Error code: 0004-80070003

I'm using MS Security Essentials without problems on the machine I'm trying to create the offline tool
    (MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1)

In the meantime I'll stick with Paragon Backup & Recovery 2013 Free which burned rescue disc and flash drive without porblems. (And they work.)

Thanks
    Microsoft recommends WDO for Windows 8. No caveats about Secure Boot. Of course, Secure Boot is mostly an issue in Windows 8 RT, and the ARM Tablets which run RT don't support optical media.

When I read Mr. Langa's recent article about MSE failing certification with AV-Test Labs, I replaced it with Avast on Windows 8 and Windows 7.

I prefer not to place all my eggs in one basket with Microsoft or anyone else, so my non-active AV/AS programs come from other vendors -- Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes, with Hitman Pro Free Edition used for Cloud AV scans.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Reverencing the section about sync'ing to an NAS drive.
    I use Carbonite Home for backup so need everything kept on local hard drive. I use this machine daily.
    I have a second laptop that I use for travel that uses the NAS drive as a mapped drive at home and has no personal data files on the machine. I use this machine daily also.
    I need a way to sync the NAS and the machine that Carbonite backs up so that both the NAS and the PC maintain the most current version of files.
    Karen's replicator appears to do just what it says "replicate" not sync.
    Any suggestions for the best way to accomplish this????

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First time user: Are Microsoft security tools compatible with Norton?

New Lounger
    Thanks

What A Wonderful Article

The six security tools are certainly something MS should have in the Box with new machines - or simply install them with the OS if possible, thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidRoper View Post
    The six security tools are certainly something MS should have in the Box with new machines - or simply install them with the OS if possible, thanks.
    Two of the six (the two Defenders) are installed by default. Three of the six are not designed to be installed as they are frequently updated and a new version needs to be downloaded. The only odd one out is Microsoft Security Essentials, which is probably not installed by default for legal reasons:

AVG, McAfee, Sophos and Trend Micro claimed that the integration of the product into Microsoft Windows would be a violation of competition law.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microso...ity_Essentials

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, you left out a caveat about Windows Defender and Win 8. Unlike MSE/Win 7 and earlier, which allow more than one active anti-malware app, Defender goes inoperative when other anti-malware apps are running; i.e., it's Defender alone or not at all. Given that I already have SAS Pro, I turned off Defender and run Comodo CIS and SAS. It's been very successful so far.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    Fred, you left out a caveat about Windows Defender and Win 8. Unlike MSE/Win 7 and earlier, which allow more than one active anti-malware app, Defender goes inoperative when other anti-malware apps are running; i.e., it's Defender alone or not at all. Given that I already have SAS Pro, I turned off Defender and run Comodo CIS and SAS. It's been very successful so far.
    I had no problem running Windows 8 and MalwareBytes Pro at the same time. Most other 3rd party AV programs will disable Windows 8 Defender as part of the install.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Doesn't MSE come up as a quick-and-easily installed "recommended update" in Windows Update? I suppose that technically qualifies as requiring "manual" installation, but it's not like it's out of the way.

I think in order to be installed in XP, it still requires Windows Genuine Authentication, but if you'd rather avoid that, there are perfectly safe (albeit somewhat cumbersome) means to circumvent that requirement.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kehander View Post
    Doesn't MSE come up as a quick-and-easily installed "recommended update" in Windows Update? I suppose that technically qualifies as requiring "manual" installation, but it's not like it's out of the way.
    Yes, but only on PCs without any antivirus program installed; and still some antivirus companies complained:

Security Essentials Available For Download Through Microsoft Update Service

Bruce

Thanks
    Let them complain all they want, they'll never have a case.
    At least some form of minimally intrusive AV/AM protection should be inherent within the OS itself.
    Windows 8 will be the very first MS OS to do so. One also has the option to add another product if one is so inclined.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast