New Lounger
    Thanks

How long to keep old Framework files?

I'm still using old computers, all using WinXP. I download and use free programs as much as possible. If a program sounds interesting, I install it, try it out, and either leave it installed, or uninstall it using Revo uninstaller. (I make time to play around with the computer. I'm retired, and use the computer, with it's problems, etc, to exercise my brain - so far, problems caused by contaminated downloads have been rare).

While cleaning out some unnecessary files, I again noticed 6 MS framework files, and finally decided to do something about it, if possible. Can I uninstall the older files and just keep the latest version? Newer programs usually require the latest version. Also, I have the same question about MS Visual C++, and about MS XML. From experiences I've has, it seems like Microsoft doesn't do a good job about uninstalling no longer needed files.

Thanks for any help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge,

In all those cases, there may be (old) programs still using the old versions of the frameworks or libraries. This means that the removal may affect some programs, but it really depends on what you still have installed.

Unless you have problems with them, I would advise keeping them.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    `Yes, you need to keep all versions but keep them patched...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe new versions rely on files from the previous versions as a foundation. And as emkay_01 mentioned, old programs could have file dependencies on older framework. Concerning PC's, I learned a long time ago......If it ain't broke don't fix it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In particular, version 3.0 and 3.5 are only partial updates; many of the core libraries from 2.0 are used by all three.

With regard to the Visual C++ libraries, there are system utilities that use the older libraries. Hence, removing them could render your machine partially inoperable.
    David Gray, Chief Wizard
    WizardWrx
    Irving, Texas, USA

WizardWrx Web - Technical Articles and Free Software
    You are more important than any technology we may employ.