Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy install Win7 in Mac

Help Please!

I bought Mac Mini 2 months ago, Mountain Lion. Recently, I asked a computer shop to partition using bootcamp to install windows 7 and office 2010; NTFS system for windows.
    A few days later, when I tried to back up windows to the hard disk, it failed. Tried to create system restore point also failed. Then I tried backing up to external HD, was successful.

Took Mac back to the shop. The technician said the D: was in FAT format whereas C: was in NTFS. He said D: which was called ‘Macintosh HD’ cannot be converted to NTFS because that would corrupt the ‘firmware’ (what is that?). I took it home, added a standard user, and found I cannot even change the size of the icons for standard user! No such problem when I was only using it as administrator. I think there is some data in D Drive because the free space was smaller than drive size.

I want both drives to be same systems.

QUESTIONS:
    1- Can FAT support WIN 7 adequately? Any problems likely using FAT system for Windows?

2- Any possibility converting D drive to NTFS? Found info below from Wikipedia. Any source on how settings can be changed for D drive to convert to NTFS?

“Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and later allows writing to NTFS file systems, but only after a non-trivial system setting change (third party software exists that automates this” (Wikipedia)

thanks
    spec

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Spec, hello.
    Your procedure is tantamount to open rebellion. Did you not read Steve J's biography ? In it, he says that he is the only one that can change a Wormy, this said, it is indeed possible to use FAT for a Windows partition. I am left wondering if only the one partition can be NTFS'd and not the Lion one ??? You ought to try FAT32, not simple FAT.

I know that the "firmware" will not be corrupted. On my W-8 machines, I use all kinds of Wormy devices bought on eBay as not too many users will intervene in their machines, (shades of Jobs again), and as nobody bids on them, the price is always quite low.

If you have this 3rd party SW, go and try it BUT first make an image or a clone of your machine so that you can recoup from a disaster. My son is a Wormy user and he came here to set up bootcamp from my Windows machine, might this be a restriction ? He did get it to work if this be a consolation to you. JP.

NB: What is worst then a worm in an apple? 1/2 a worm ! Thus the term Wormy.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i will follow your suggestion.
    thank you
    spec