New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2013 Cursor Feature Not Included or Hidden?

In some of the posts I have read (and a training session I attended), in Word 2013, the insertion point place is saved when you close a file. Reopening the file is supossed to show the insertion point at the place it was at when the file was saved, rather than at the top of the document. I remember in an earlier version of Word, there was a function key combination to move the insertion point to the place it was at when the file was saved. In Word 2013, is this feature built in, and if so, how can I find it? I searched the web for this question, but can't find an answer. Thanks. John

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You need to execute the GoBack command (Shift+F5). A saved document should remember the last edit point. In an active document, it will remember the last 5 edit points.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Thanks, 3 Star. Was this feature not automatic in Word 2013?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The save your place is a feature of the reading mode. You know, so it can mimic an ereader. But they didn't add it to the editor where it's needed. Shft+F5 is worthless to me. I use the Editorium macros to mark and find the editing place.
    Pam Caswell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It isn't a feature of only the reading mode. When you reopen a document, it opens at the beginning, but you should see a small box near the vertical scrollbar that says "Welcome back! Pick up where you left off", and clicking that box takes you to that location. (In fact, it's exactly equivalent to pressing Shift+F5.)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. It's probably not the only thing I didn't notice about W2013. But as an old Word Perfect user, I still, after all these years, want Word to open where I left it (which may not be at the last edit).
    Pam Caswell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A correction to my previous post: Clicking the "Welcome back" box takes you to the last place you were looking at, regardless of whether you made an editing change there. It is not equivalent to Shift+F5. Also, you don't have to save the document to make this work -- if you open and just read the document, then close it, the "Welcome back" still takes you to the last place you were reading. So it's almost like WordPerfect's feature, except that you do have to click the box.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Because Shift-F5 on a re-opened document wasn't supported in Word 2007, I wrote some macros for doing essentially the same as Pam describes. See: http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37085
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]