New Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox won't load any websites

I'm using FF 20.0 on a Windows 7 computer. I was using it yesterday at work and FF suddenly stopped working. I caught a quick glimpse in the corner of one of my add-ons, Video Download Helper, saying it was updating, then everything just stopped.

Any URL I type in the address bar is changed to an https address and it doesn't go anywhere. ie - I type "google.ca" and get "https://www.google.ca" in the address bar. If I change it manually and take the "s" out of the address, it still doesn't move. There's no indicator that it's thinking or trying, just nothing. Also, if I type a search in the defaul search window in FF (google I believe) the same thing happens - ie nothing. If I type about:config nothing happens.

I restarted it in safe mode. It didn't help. I uninstalled or disabled all the extensions and plugins. I then uninstalled Firefox and told it not to save my personal information. I reinstalled it from the newest version on their website. Same problem.

I tried logging in as me on a co-worker's computer and I could use their Firefox just fine. I tried logging in as another user on my own computer and I could use Firefox just fine - it worked perfectly.

I'm on a Windows network here at work so the IT guys blew away my Windows profile. The same problem was still there on my new profile.

I tried loading Firefox 15 (the last version that didn't have auto updates) and it works great! If I upgrade it though, the problem comes back.

Our techs are stumped. They agree it's probably something in my registry and their only option is to re-image. I'd prefer not to as it would take a long time to get things back to the way I want and I'd also lose Google Sync.

Does anyone have any ideas before we do a re-image? I did a quick registry search to look at all the instances of Firefox in there, but didn't want to start exerimenting. I could use Firefox 15 for a while, but at some point this will become a security issue. I can also use IE or Chrome, but prefer Firefox.

Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After a LOT of time searching the web, I found the answer here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=857672

Looks like a Firefox upgrade broke Firefox for those using roaming profiles in a Windows server environment. It sounds like the fix will be in the next Firefox release (just wish I hadn't blown away my old Windows profile trying to troubleshoot this problem - it's taken days to get all my customizations back and I'm still not done). Curse them and their little dog too!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have I got this right? Firefox is down until a new version comes out? Mine(was 20now trying 15which seems no better) will start but hangs after two screens. I thought it was my wireless link but it is just as bad by cable link. The problem is even there inside Firefox! It isn't possible to get far enough in to do anything before it hangs. I've reset redownloaded uninstalled 20 and installed 15 -still the same. I've used the recent Langa guide to check for malware- nothing wrong according to Trendmicro and Mcafee. I followed instructions and went to IE where I was invited to tell Firefox - but only if I downloaded the latest version. Talk about endless circles! Why do they not have a phone line?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's down if you use roaming profiles in a Windows server environment. I went back to version 19 and turned off the autoupdate until the next version comes along.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Avalon but may I ask a little more? I am sorry to be so dumb , but what are roaming profiles?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm no expert, I just know we have them at work. Here's Wikipedia's definition:

A roaming user profile is a concept in the Microsoft Windows NT family of operating systems that allows users with a computer joined to a Windows Server domain to log on to any computer on the same network and access their documents and have a consistent desktop experience, such as applications remembering toolbar positions and preferences, or the desktop appearance staying the same.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Avalon: I should be able to find out where to set them to 'off' but any tips greatly appreciated!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since loading Firefox 20.01 some sites didn't load correctly, whereas they did in IE 9.

Advised to clear cache and that did it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rokerman, that seems straightforward, I'll try it tomorrow.