Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Missing processor cycles.

I am running win7 ultimate 64-bit on an Asus PC with a 6-core CPU. Normally in task manager, I get 98 or 99% idle time.
    I have taken to putting the machine to sleep at night time. When it wakes up in the morning, however, it now runs at 80-85% idle. The bulk of the rest is being used by a process called "NT Kernel & System". It gives no indication of *what* it is doing, however. If I reboot, things go back to normal.

Now, if I didn't have task manager open a lot of the time, I wouldn't even notice the difference. It is not running slowly or anything like that. I am just puzzled as to why this process appears and what it thinks it is doing...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Phil.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Get SysInternals Process Explorer and check what children processes may be doing.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I already ran that, but it didn't help any. The process is too generic. The program generates a ton of data, but the string "NT Kernel" does not appear anywhere. You just get lost in a sea of cvchost processes...

Administrator
    Thanks
    NT Kernel & System is the description for a single process (System). In Process Explorer, in my computer, this has two children: interrupts and smss.exe. There are no svchost.exe processes. Those are children of wininit.exe.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't understand. I cannot see children processes because I can't find the main process. I just ran it and collected nearly 300000 events, but I cannot find 'NT Kernel' in there at all. If that is the process name, surely it should be listed *somewhere*?

Administrator
    Thanks
    The process in process explorer is simply named "System". Also, I recommended Process Explorer, not Process Monitor, which I think it's what you are using, due to the mention of events.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, you caught me... Running the correct program, I see System, which is running at about 15% of cpu cycles. There are 2 child processes, Interrupts, which is using around 1%, and smss.exe, which is not showing any usage at all. So we still have 14% unaccounted for... There are no other processes listed with more than a tiny percentage of cycles.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I suggest you run it in Administrator mode. You can right click it, choose properties and then choose the Threads tab to see which threads are using what percentage of CPU.

P.S.: You don't need Administrator mode to see the CPU consumption of each thread, actually.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I got some results, but I have no idea what to make of them... Here are the cpu-hoggers:
    Image 088.jpg

I don't see anything there that I recognise, but then my knowledge of the kernel-level stuff is not great.
    I googled the 'rtiskml' process, and there are many entries. Some saying that it is an important part of windows, and others saying that it needs to be removed right away!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Surely you meant ntoskrnl. Afraid I can't help either. Maybe try the SysInternals forums: http://forum.sysinternals.com/proces...er_forum2.html
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, that's what I meant... Need new glasses...

I tried the sysinternals forum, but you have to register before you can post. When I fill out the form I get an error saying that part of it (but not *which* part) has been flagged as spam and removed. I tried twice, but got the same result. No idea what the heck is up with that...

In any case, I am not too sure that the forum is active. There have only been 2 postings read since 2010, and nothing posted since 2007.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloke View Post

In any case, I am not too sure that the forum is active. There have only been 2 postings read since 2010, and nothing posted since 2007.
    You didn't look attentively. There are many posts from March and some from April. This is also not a mass market app...

CaptureforumSysInt.JPG
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I spent some time digging around, but didn't see anything that would explain my issue. Like I said, I can't register, so there is no way for me to post a question.

I rebooted the PC, and that process is now running at between 0 and 1% of cpu time. If I put it to sleep tonight, it will jump back up again tomorrow.

It isn't causing me any problems, and I guess I will just live with it.

Thanks for your input,

Phil.

Thanks
    It reads like there may be an older driver related to USB/USB3 that needs updating, that or the power saving settings for a device need tweaking in Device Manager.