Lounger
    Thanks

Archive file will not open (2000/SR-1)

In March of 2001 I archived everything in Outlook older than 12/31/99. I had upgraded from Outlook 98 to 2000/SR-1 in Sept., 2000. Recently, I tried to open the archive file and I get the following two dialogue boxes:
    "Personal Folders" Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use.
    And then:
    "Microsoft Outlook" the file <myfilespecfilename.pst> is not a personal folders file.
    (Yes, it uses the actual filename.)

So almost three years of archives is inacessible.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Archive file will not open (2000/SR-1)

How are you trying to open the file: File, Open, Personal Folders file? I have had good luck with that technique.

You also can add the PST to your profile using Tools, Services... This would seem to satisfy the requirement in the first error message.

Lounger
    Thanks

Yup: File, Open, Personal Folders file.
    I don't see Services under Tools. I remember it from OL97. I am Internet Mail Only, however. And that first error message has only shown up lately. When I first tried to open the file a few months ago, I got only the second error message.
    My instinct is that the file is damaged. If it is, are you aware of any method to repair it? Perhaps OL2002 could open it???

Thanks

In Internet Mail Only, you use Tools, Accounts. However, I don't know the details after that.

The inbox repair tool is called scanpst.exe. On my Win2000 PC, it is located in C:Program FilesCommon FilesSYSTEMMapi1033NT. If you search the lounge for messages about this program, you'll find more details on how to run it and how it works.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the lead to scanpst. On my Win 98SE system, it was located in C:Program FilesCommon FilesSYSTEMMapi103395.
    It attempted a repair, but the log looks like a total failure. When I attempted to open the "repaired" file in OL, it DID open, but was essentially empty. It was called "recovered personal folders file", and contained only one folder, "deleted items", which was empty.
    I guess I need stronger medicine!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How big is the archive file? I am not sure about Internet only Outlook, but with Corporate, .pst file limits are 2Gb or 160k items (I think)
    As you say "I archived everything before 12/31/99 could you have exceeded one of these limits?
    HTH
    Silverback

Lounger
    Thanks

It's a measley 23 MB. I surmise that FAT32 trashed it somehow. If someone knew the intended structure of the file and could look IN it....