Tallahassee, FL, USA

Word 2000 & XP (Office 2000 (SR-1a))

Here's my problem.

I just bought a new Dell Demension computer which came with Windowns XP and Microsoft Works Suite already installed.

Since I use Office 2000 Premium and preferred to keep the complete range of software available I removed Microsoft Works from my computer BEFORE installing Office 2000. All went well and Office seemed to work fine EXCEPT that every time I exit Word 2000, I get a popup message box that says "Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for any inconvenience." It also asks if I wish to submit an error report. I click on "send report" and then close the box and Word 2000 then closes.

Clicking on the technical details gives me the following:

AppName: Winword.ext
    ModName vbe6.dll
    mod Ver:
    Offset 00038fbc

Any idea what's going on here? I haven't received the same or a similar error message when using FrontPage or PowerPoint (haven't tried Excel). Is it possible I created a problem when I removed MS Works Suite? I tried to get Dell NOT to load it, but I was told that wasn't an option.

The error message never appears when I close document, but DOES appear each time I close Word.

Also, I have noted that the even though I reset the number of last opened documents from four to five, Word has not change that option. However, when I open a document, and then open another document without exiting Word, the current document is listed as #1 in the list.

But, after I close Word and reopen it, the list is NOT updated. Huummmm?

BTW, I had this problem BEFORE adding SR-1. I have also tried to solve the problem by running the "Detect and Repair" option from within WORD.

Thanks for whatever light you may be able to shed on this matter. I'm reall stumped on this one.

Dave Sellars
    Tallahassee, FL

Uranium Lounger
    Los Angeles Area, California, USA

Hi Dave:

I have not had experience with Windows XP, nor had the first problem that you mention. However, the problem that the MRU doesn't update correctly tends to be a sign that the DATA key in the registry is corrupt.

I would try the following steps:

1. Close Word, rename to something like normal.old, & restart Word. If
    it cures it, then the normal template was bad. No luck, then...

2. Close Word. Go to Start/Run & type "winword.exe /a" (no quotes). If this cures
    it, it's an add-in. Close Word. Take everything out of the Startup folder & restart
    Word. In Win 98, without profiles, note that there are two startup folders when you have Office: one under C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftWordSTARTUP & one under C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeStartup. Then add things in one at a time (closing & restarting Word in between) until
    you isolate the problem. Still no luck, then...

3. Back up all your options. Go to Tools/Options & make a change...any change. Go
    to Tools/AutoCorrect/Autoformat as you type tab & make a change. Now record a macro
    (name it, e.g. MyOptions) & then go to each of the tabs & change it back the way you
    want. Then stop the recording & save the macro in any template.

4. Back up the registry. (I don't, but everyone says to do this. Besides, I do a
    lot of things I later regret <G>.)

5. Close Word. Go to Start/Run & type REGEDIT. With Word 97, navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0WordDat a

OR, if you're using Word 2000, go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0WordDat a

& either rename or delete the key. Restart Word & the key will be rebuilt. You will
    lose your customized options, but that's why you recorded a macro first. You can run
    the macro & restore your options easily.

There are two other changes that can take place. Your standard & formatting toolbars will share one line. If you use these two toolbars & don't like that option, click Tools/Customize... & untick "Standard & Formatting Toolbars share one row". If you don't like to use clipit, you also have to press F1, choose Options, then the Option tab, & untick "Use the Office Assistant".

Hope this helps.

Silver Lounger
    New York, New York, USA

Re: Word 2000 & XP (Office 2000 (SR-1a))

Possible it's leftovers of your MSWorks installation, but Visual Basic DLL, causing problem according to your message, is out of date. The current version is dated January 12, 2001. Try to update your Office from
    Maybe it can help.