Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hemeloser View Post
    I think we're forgetting that XP Pro can join a domain.
    No one is saying it can't. A Homegroup and a domain are different things.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I investigated Samba users to see how they are affected, and found the following solution:

For Win7:

Use regedit and edit the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Ls a
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\Ls a

under those 2 keys, add the following Value (or modify it if it already exists)

Type : 32-bit DWORD Value
    Name : LmCompatibilityLevel
    Value: 1

The following web page is explanatory: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc960646.aspx

The solution suggests to me that the actual differences in the incompatible formats are quite minimal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I think, Bob, that the terminology is leading to some confusion. What I think you mean is that you can connect from XP to Windows 8, without the need for an active workgroup on Windows 8. This doesn't mean that you are using the Homegroup, as an Homegroup requires you to join the Homegroup with the password your set for that specific Homegroup when you created it and I don't think you are doing this, but please correct me if i am wrong.

The fact that you are using a crossover cable may be the cause for that, indeed. To establish your initial assertion beyond doubt, a traditional network configuration would need to be used (that is, having the computers connected through a router / hub / switch).
    I think you may be correct, in that what I have is not a real network. This may be demonstrated in the lack of any IP addresses, the possibility that all that is being used is a Network Share strategy, and that an ad-hoc connection is used without a router. I also don't get into the contents of the Windows 8 computer by logging in with the Homegroup's Network Password, as I posted before.

All things considered, I think what I really have in this setup may well be an ad hoc connection without a true network. Nothing prevents this, and a Homegroup is not necessarily involved at all.

What the Windows 8 computer is using, it displays as a Home Network, and all Shares are through what the Windows 8 machine displays as its Homegroup. This is what has me wondering just what is actually going on here.

Maybe sometime when I have the time, I'll connect the computers through my router's Ethernet Ports and try to establish this same connection in a wired network with a router. If this works, it would tend to support my claim that Windows XP really is joining a Homegroup under Windows 8. I suspect, however, that the effort will fail, and only a Windows XP Workgroup will succeed with the router between the two computers.

I'll try this sometime and report back in a new thread in the Lounge under Networking. It may be awhile before I get the free time to do this, but I am definitely interested in exploring this situation further.

I hope no one has become as confused as I now feel about all of this. And until I can test my theory further, I'll stop posting that Windows XP can join a Windows 8 Homegroup. This may not be the case after all.
    -- Bob Primak --

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    It would be interesting to see what would happen with the router scenario, indeed .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Just to confuse things a little, a Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer will support both a HomeGroup and a Workgroup at the same time. Obviusly, the Workgroup names have to be identical on all computers and it helps if the same user IDs and passwords are also used on all PCs.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For those who wish to clear up some of the mystique surrounding Windows networking, the following site may be helpful:
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006...ing-using.html.

Thanks
    For those who wish to clear up some of the mystique surrounding Windows networking, the following site may be helpful:
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006...ing-using.html.
    In this post at that site, the term Homegroup is never mentioned. This actually muddies the waters even worse for the current situation.

What I have is Ethernet Crossover. It is also ad hoc (device to device with no router or switch or hub).

What is at issue is that Windows XP in its Network Places does not clearly mark a Homegroup differently from a Workgroup. I have both showing up by Network Name (of each Computer) on both computers. And all logins use the Network Path followed by the local user name, and then the user's local password. But whether or not either computer is part of (has joined) a Homegroup, a Workgroup, is involved in other types of Network Shares, or none of the above, neither the Explorer Tree, nor the Windows Explorer/File Explorer Network Places, nor the Windows 8 Network and Sharing Center seems to make clear.

So, the best way to prove that the Windows XP computer does not see a Homegroup in a real network (with a router, a switch or a hub) seems to be to actually try to set up both computers in such a (wired) full network, and see then what shows up, and where and how the Homegroup and the Workgroup are represented graphically in the Windows GUI (Network Places, both computers) and the Windows 8 Network and Sharing Center.

I'd bet the Windows XP computer would then only see one Workgroup, and never an additional Homegroup under its Network Places, and that the Windows 8 computer could log into the Windows XP computer, but this time a Workgroup Network Password (not local user credentials) would be requested. Same when the Windows XP computer would want to connect with the Windows 8 computer under the Workgroup, except that Windows XP would already be logged in to its own Workgroup, and would not even see the Windows 8 Homegroup.

That's what I would expect to see. The proof is in the doing. When I have time, I'll test this scenario. Im the meantime, I will refrain from declaring that I have connected Windows XP to a Windows 8 Homegroup.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-04-14 at 05:19.
    -- Bob Primak --

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your reservation about Home Groups missing from the site is well taken.

I have since learned that Home Groups use Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRP), Peer Networking Identity Manager (p2pimsvc), and Peer Networking Grouping (p2psvc). In short, this is an entirely different methodology with different services and protocols from those used in Work Groups.
    Last edited by hemeloser; 2013-04-15 at 01:07. Reason: typo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hemeloser For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2013-04-18)

Thanks
    Your reservation about Home Groups missing from the site is well taken.

I have since learned that Home Groups use Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRP), Peer Networking Identity Manager (p2pimsvc), and Peer Networking Grouping (p2psvc). In short, this is an entirely different methodology with different services and protocols from those used in Work Groups.
    This is something I haven't investigated. I should do so. I suspect neither of my "networks" is doing the Homegroup protocols. Next time I get a chance, I should look into these characteristics and post back.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12