Lounger
    Thanks

Avoid new Build 6514 update to Acronis True Image 2013 - for now . . .

Since a number of Forum members use Acronis True Image 2013 on their Windows 8 systems, news of its just released update —

It appears Acronis has blown it again: the first update to the quite good True Image 20013 release is not reliably installing when prompted from the application:

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/41189

When the update is downloaded independently it remains unclear whether it will complete successfully. If not, the Cleanup Utility's routine will be necessary, per GroverH's post above.

What's more, the Linux boot CD built from this release [Build 6514] fails to load the correct mouse drivers for some systems as well as chipset drivers, resulting in a mouseless UI and the failure to recognize hard drives:

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/41161

The post above indicates that Acronis will publish a fix for this problem next week, although what form this correction will take is not specified.

Clearly it is prudent to wait out further fallout from this update, and, before eventually applying it, to image the system with the original build first [#5551] !

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HansPeter For This Useful Post:

Kat1110 (2013-04-07),Medico (2013-04-06),pseudoid (2013-04-18)

Thanks
    Thank you for this very useful info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Updated TeraByte Unlimited's Image for Windows from 2.79 to 2.80. Flawless, as usual.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Updated TeraByte Unlimited's Image for Windows from 2.79 to 2.80. Flawless, as usual.
    Ok, I'm convinced - bought it tonight and if I need support, I know who to ask!

Rich

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Ok, I'm convinced - bought it tonight and if I need support, I know who to ask!

Rich
    Anytime, Rich! There is also an excellent forum at TeraByte Unlimited for Image for Windows/DOS/Linux. TeraByte also has lots of free utilities and addons available for download, lots of tutorials as well.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

rmonroe36 (2013-04-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Acronis TI 2013 & 6514

Hmmm, for what it's worth, 6514 installed and ran without a hitch on my Win 8 Pro server. But, I'll check it again to be sure of that statement.

Apropos of nothing, the signature on a post above credited to Brother Dave Gardner reminded me of something else BDG said that I still remember:

'It's not the motion of the pendulum as it swings to and fro, but the essence that drives it that makes it go.' If that's not it, it's close. Weird what you remember. It made me smile to remember his pithy sayings.

Ok, I'm done. :-)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acronis 2013 Build 6514

Even though I recently purchased Terabyte's Image For Windows, I have not given up on Acronis. I am a long time user and am aware of some of the "glitches" of the past but it has served me well. So far, 6514 has not caused me any problems but having the two backup programs has reduced my anxiety .

Rich