Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect Redeploy "Baremetal install"

Hello all,
    Over the past few ( beers and time period) I have decided to try to resurrect XP Pro SP-3, and install it to a new AMD Quad core PC (ASUS 990FX) Not going into the "legal aspects" of this.... not my issue here. (whether you have a Full OS install disk , an OEM, or Upgrade).. Macrium Reflect Pro and Acronis True Image with "Plus Pack" have this ability to do a "bare metal install" ( one PC OS, to another PC) You have to work out the "Activation " bit on your own....Here goes....( couldn't get Acronis to work ..so will only be discussing Macrium)

1. The major problem with this type of "old to new" install is that you have to have the "Drivers" for your old OS to go along with the new PC.. ASUS 990FX Motherboard comes with a disk with some of the XP drivers that are needed.. otherwise you will have to provide them on your own. "Google for em"

2. The second problem is that you have to choose the correct "HAL layer" to enable your new CPU to talk to everyone...there are several choices ... See the definitions provided by Macrium Support (with their permission, and knowledge) See end of my "Blah Blah"

3. Using Macriums "Redeploy" function you can choose the HAL setting and then "Slipstream" the drivers into the installation process.

4. My install was using an Image from my old PC ... this was only partially successful .. Could only get XP on the new PC to recognize one of my CPU cores... CPU meter was almost always at 100 % ....Very slow performance ... Still can't get that one figured out yet..

5. The next try Using an XP Pro SP-3 Disk ... First problem is that i could only load the OS using IDE mode ... Well i installed, XP after setting BIOS to IDE ( AHCI is my normal BIOS ) After Booting in IDE using "Device Manager" i disabled all IDE Drivers ,shut down and booted into BIOS and set it back to AHCI.

6. Now using Macriums Redeploy function i then "slipstreamed" the AHCI drivers from the ASUS disk, and chose the correct HAL setting.. "ACPI Multi Processor" ... What do Ya know? New life for an old OS !

7. Well the reason for this post is that i was not aware (or understood ) HAL and how these type of programs can work for you .... Hope this is some help Regards Fred

PS: here is Macrium's response....

Unfortunately, the choice of HAL is a complex one and the explanation needed to determine which HAL to use is a bit difficult to squeeze into the limited space we have on the dialog.

HAL stands for Hardware Abstraction Layer. The idea is fairly simple - internally Windows abstracts away all of the differences between hardware into a common way of working, if you like. This means that most of Windows only needs to be able to use this common way of working and asking hardware, and needs not know the underlying hardware details.

Microsoft have reduced these hardware differences to a small number of different abstraction layers, which handle things slightly differently for different families of hardware.

You can read more about the overall concept here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwa...rating_Systems

We provide all of the HAL types Windows Supports. There are three types of power/interface PC types, these are:

Standard - mostly applies to legacy hardware.

ACPI - this stands for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface, which you can read about here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...ower_Interface and http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...interface.html

Essentially, ACPI looks after power states of peripherals, for example powering down hard disks when idle.

MPS - this stands for Multiprocessor Specification, a system from Intel (see http://www.intel.com/design/pentium/...s/24201606.pdf )

Chances are quite high that if your system is a modern one, it uses ACPI. Windows XP and earlier may be unable to boot if it cannot correctly determine which of the schemes your current hardware uses, as it will not be able to speak to the hardware.

The next sub-case is the multiprocessor/uniprocessor differentiation. This is reasonably straightforward - multiprocessor is used for platforms with multiple processors and uniprocessor for one processor.

So, for a modern system I would imagine "ACPI Multiprocessor" would be the recommended option. However, this is not always the case.

The way to determine which to use is to read your hardware's manuals to determine if the motherboard on the target PC supports ACPI. If it is an older system, it may not, in which case you should check whether it supports MPS or not. If not, Standard PC should work for you. Then, select the sub option based on whether you have a single core or multi-core processor.

7b is the bluescreen you receive when the system cannot boot due to an incorrect device, possibly HAL, but this can also be caused by incorrect drivers for storage controllers and hard disks. ReDeploy enables you to insert the correct drivers for your system.

A "Bad Pool Header" error message is caused by memory corruption. This could be a bug in a driver and may be worth investigating if you see if again.

Hopefully this helps explain your choices!

Kind Regards,

Antony
    Macrium Support
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-04-06 at 15:25.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

brino (2013-05-17),Dick-Y (2013-04-06),RetiredGeek (2013-04-06)

Thanks
    That's an awful lot of work just to put XP on a new machine.
    Let XP R.i.P
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi CLint,
    Yes you are correct ... This was done as an experiment to use the "Macrium Redeploy" Function ...and also learn (and pass on) some "info" about "HAL" and kind of a "how to" for any OS \ and Redeploy....As to your "RIP" comment ...I use XP ...Just as good for me in every way as Vista or "7" ... Can't speak to "8" ...For me no point trying to make "8" look and perform like XP, Vista , or "7". As i use, and can compare all these OS's on the same hardware... Not much difference ...Just my 2¢ Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just been gearing up to try the same sort of operations using EaseUS Workstation's restore to dissimilar hardware feature, using Windows 7 SP1 though, not XP. I find it very simple to deploy my own XP "bare metal restore" with a little help from UBCD4Win. I can almost do it in my sleep now, though the last time I had to run a FixBoot command to get it up and running.

I want to be as sure handed with Win 7, hoping all along that it will prove to be nearly as simple.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    First one with Win 7SP1 went swimmingly. It was Intel-based to Intel-based so I expected good results. I simply booted the target system with the Windows PE disc with ToDo on it, chose the network location to restore from then by putting a tic into the restore to dissimilar hardware it opened up the a list of local drives to restore to, picked the one I wanted and let it rip. In retrospect it probably would have restored much quicker from a USB drive, but it worked over the network, 2 hours for approx. 105 gig restore.

Right at the end it started the Universal Restore routine, lasted about a minute and it was done. First few boots were terribly slow, but the important part is it was booting. Then between Double Driver, Slimdrivers Free and uninstalling the ATI video card suite (using Intel HD onboard on the recipient), the driver issues causing the slow response seem to be sorted, programs are executing, system info indicates the transplant has been accepted, done deal. A+ for EaseUS ToDo Workstation.

My next image restore transfer to dissimilar hardware it going to be to a 6-core AMD-based system running NVIDIA graphics card...if ToDo passes that more difficult test with as much aplomb, best $29 I will have spent.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    My next image restore transfer to dissimilar hardware it going to be to a 6-core AMD-based system running NVIDIA graphics card...
    if ToDo passes that more difficult test with as much aplomb, best $29 I will have spent.
    To be conclusive, you'd need to actually test with the free version too. It's not that I want to put you through more effort, but if you want to be sure that you actually should have spent that amount, you need to determine that wouldn't be possible with the free version. Most likely, it won't work but...

I once upgraded to a new mobo / CPU and disk with a TI version that wasn't supposed to do that. Just sayin'.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure, I routinely transfer XP to any system I wish that has hardware drivers available and a BIOS toggle for AHCI or legacy SATA mode. Also I thought maybe I would be getting a more capable management console, one akin to the 2009 Acronis Workstation software, or maybe I just haven't figured that part out yet, but I used to be able to boot with a network connection/management utility disc on the target system and then take care of everything from the Acronis management console on the system designated as such. Still, there is some of that network connectivity there and deployable, just that the request seems to have to come from the target system.

You want me try a simple restore from an Intel/ATI to AMD/NVIDIA system eh? Seems like that has disaster written all over it but...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hehe, not really, but from a scientific point of view, that test would be needed to establish the paid version as the only one able to perform similar migrations. Of course, there is no point in doing it, once you get the OS you want on the hardware you want. Not in the name of science anyway .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, so I just did a local simple restore to an SSD destined for the AMD-NVIDIA system, for some reason it took 3 hours instead of the 2 it took over the network connection previously. So I guess that reason is that the Gigabit network was simply faster than my local USB 2.0 connection.

Anyway, swapped the system drive for the new SSD, same connections, boot, blue screen before the little colored dots can even get close to one another. Ran startup repair 4 times and canceled on fifth when it looked like it was just trying the same thing again. Each time, a normal restart resulted in a quick bluescreen. Now if this were XP, I'd stick in my UBCD4Win and fix the HDC but for Win 7, I'm now relying on ToDo WS ...to do, the trick.

Longish story short, I'm now looking at the same login screen I was yesterday, except now it's on the AMD-NVIDIA system. Like I said before, getting it to boot to that point is the important part, I'll figure out all the drivers it needs to make the full transfer a success. Oh, and the network transfer restore timeframe? Same two hours again as the other one. A+ for ToDo.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2013-04-08)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanks for the full experience .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I had to know too, it would have been terrible if the simple restore had worked or the subsequent network restore had not, but sometimes things work out just right.

For Fred, I wouldn't know HAL if he hit me over the head with an IB[ea]M, but something seems to have handled all that for me.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Got an error, operation aborted, no restore, but I'm upgrading ToDo WS to A++. Why? I was attempting a precision strike, restore the master image to the middle partition of a dual boot system. Turns out it could not restore and I had the notion that it was because the partition was not active since ToDo indicated it could not set the partition as active before it took a digger. So I simply changed the boot flag to the middle partition and the restore settled in safe and sound, again from an i5 Intel, ATI graphic source to a completely different AMD/Nvidia (board and video) combo. AND, since this was a disk image restore to a smaller middle partition; color me impressed!