Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How long would one keep using XP pro SP3 ?

I know 2 guy's still using Win98 se but that's there issue..

I've been using XP pro (32bit) for 6-10 yrs I guess and it's on SP3 with all updates, I clean up often and use CCleaner, Malwarebytes and MSE running on it ----- haven't had a problem for yrs.

I also have WIN 7 home premium 64bit on a different drive, I like it also and no issues.

I keep both OS'es cleaned up and backed up on USB external drives.

Question: I often think about how long is long enough using XP pro of mine or is there an answer at all to my worry ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jag,

IMHO use it until it no longer meets your needs. I see no reason to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, unless you are crazy like me and have to try out the new stuff all the time. After all for most people the computer is a tool would you buy a new screwdriver because someone put a different color handle on it? Now I need to buy new a new set of screwdrivers because so much stuff now has those [expletive deleted] torx heads on the screws, i.e. my current set no longer meets all my needs. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Jagworld (2013-04-06)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    haven't had a problem for yrs
    Along with RG, you answered your own question. For me it's going to be when 3rd party software gives up the ghost on XP support. That won't happen all at once of course but someday it'll be some new program or upgrade that is no longer compatible, along with half a dozen other less important programs or video games that no longer run on the XP platform...it'll be time. There's a couple chinks in the armor so far but overall, XP is still my main workhorse for years to come.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    F.U.N.,

My guess is you'll have to upgrade for Hardware before Software. It's getting harder and harder to find a printer that supplies XP drivers. Of course if you belong to that paperless society they've been telling us about since the mid 80's that's not a problem
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    F.U.N.,

My guess is you'll have to upgrade for Hardware before Software. It's getting harder and harder to find a printer that supplies XP drivers. Of course if you belong to that paperless society they've been telling us about since the mid 80's that's not a problem
    Hardware hit's home, Thx retiredgeek !!

My friend (I don't have many-- so I decided to mention that I have a few) that bought a new win8 PC and found out that his old scanner and printer didn't have any drivers available....LOL!!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I hadn't really thought of that since I have Win 7 in the network as well. Mainly it's been a couple new versions of video editors and one or two new games (Battlefield 3 if I recall correctly) that has me worried for true long term viability (greater than say 5 years from now).

Thanks
    I'm keeping 3 of them just to have virtual DOS. I have a 98 machine too. Biggest danger will be using the Internet without updates from M$. That happens next year.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    Hardware hit's home, Thx retiredgeek !!

My friend (I don't have many-- so I decided to mention that I have a few) that bought a new win8 PC and found out that his old scanner and printer didn't have any drivers available....LOL!!
    That's probably true, if you have an HP printer.
    While I was a moderator on the Windows 8 forum, person after person came on the forum lamenting that their HP printers would not work with Win-8. It's because HP did not (or would not) provide MS with a driver pack for their printers. Call it laziness, stupidity or just a bad business decision, but I'm sure HP will loose a lot of customers over that one.

That was not the case, however, with Epson. (Epson has always had a good operating relationship with MS)
    They DID provide MS with a great driver package supporting printers over five years old. If you align yourself with the wrong company, you're going to be in for all sorts of disappointments.

I have Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit, installed and running just great on a 2004 vintage eMachine. It must have been their top-O-the-Line PC at the time, because it has a 64 bit AMD processor and SATA II ports on the mobo. Windows 8 installed and set itself up using all the mobo hardware with never a whimper. Video, LAN and sound all worked 100%, right out of the box.

So in essence, it's up to the Hardware manufacturers to supply MS with drivers compatible with their hardware. MS doesn't write hardware drivers.

I just refurbished a little HP mini tower PC that was built in 2001 and was sold with Windows ME on it.
    It's now running Windows XP-Pro-SP3 with it's maximum of 512 megs of ram and doing it fabulously.
    So both hardware and software of the XP generation will be running far into the future as long as the motherboards on those computers don't blow their brains out (bad caps! ).

So my best advise is, tighten your belt and.........

Last edited by DrWho; 2013-04-07 at 11:03.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There an old saying in the computer biz: don't upgrade yourself into oblivion. I still use XP on our home net, my traveling laptop (HPMini) and if you get SP3 and the needed system updates it will serve well for a long time. The only reasons to upgrade would be (a) you have some vitally necessary software that will not run under XP and/or (b) you need a new computer and you can't buy one with XP any longer (and don't feel like doing a ground-up install yourself...lots of work) and/or the new unit doesn't come with XP drivers any longer, so you have to move up. Note DrWho's post above on this topic.

I was a consultant for 25 years and retired around the time VISTA emerged. I saw no need to learn a new OS, upgrade my applications software or devote any time to what would be essentially a non-revenue producing effort. My needs are pretty simple: Chrome does my browsing, Quicken does my finances, and Thunderbird does my email and internet faxing. Your mileage may vary, but it seems to me the biggest motivation in getting people to upgrade is that you can't buy a new unit anywhere any longer with XP on it, and as I mentioned, a ground-up install is a challenge to one not so experienced.

Thanks
    Thanks to all,

I'll keep doing what I've been doing......... and worry about something else :-)

Thanks
    My wife is an architect and she uses AutoCAD 2007. If she upgrades to a newer version of AutoCAD, it will cost a small fortune.

She was running Windows 2000 for a very long time. Everything was fine, except that her computer had AGP video, and it was very difficult to find a decent AGP video card for Windows 2000.

Finally her video card died, so at that point, I upgraded her to Windows XP. (AutoCAD 2007 and earlier require XP or earlier; newer versions of AutoCAD at that time required Vista or newer.) I considered getting Windows 7 and using XP Mode, but I wasn't sure that that would work. I was, however, sure that XP (as opposed to XP Mode) would work, so I went with that.

You should have heard all of the comments I got from her over the years - basically that I was a dinosaur and behind the times. But I was more concerned about her being able to work without issue (and without spending a small fortune) than I was about what people may or may not have been saying.

Bottom line -- do what is best for you. Don't worry about the hype. Those who put out the hype are masters at it; like the Pied Piper, they are experts at making everyone think that they need the "latest and greatest".

Funny story: I recently upgraded my wife's other computer to Windows 7 32-bit. Again, the dinosaur comments (because I went with 32-bit rather than with 64-bit). Then, one day she needed some AutoCAD training software installed on her computer. She was told that it wouldn't run in Windows 7; she had to have XP Mode. However, upon further investigation, I found that it WOULD run in 32-bit Windows 7. (In fact, the reason I went with 32-bit Windows was for compatibility reasons, knowing that from time to time these issues would come up.)

Dinosaur wins again!
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-04-10 at 17:08.

Thanks
    I also use a Cad program similar to AutoCAD and ran it in XP and when I bought a new laser printer they didn't have the drivers and wanted me to buy an upgrade which I refused.

Then when I put the program on Windows 7 it printed fine with the new printer..

I found this with a lot of hardware. They use the new hardware argument to sell you newer software...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would worry when they no longer issue new security patches. Then the risk of running internet connected computers on XP will increase and I am not sure whether that risk would be worth it. As with any other risk, you may go years without any troubles, but you may also have serious problems when you least expect...

Anyway, it's always a personal decision.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    That wouldn't concern me if I were continue to use it after it's support date...

I would just keep a current image or disconnect it from the internet if necessary if it's needed to run expensive software that doesn't need internet access like my CAD program ..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dr Who is right .... there is no reason, provided you won't require the use of a program dependent only on the latest iteration of MS's OS, that you will need to do anything. With the obvious security precautions necessary, your XP Pro should suffice for possibly decades .... given that the motherboard does its part!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast