Thread: Backups

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Backups

Anybody used/using this "EaseUs ToDo Backup" cNet downloads gives it a spectacular review rating and it is freeware.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I use it, have used it for a couple years now, its never let me down, like it so much I finally bought the ToDo Workstation version to get the couple little extra features left out of the free version. The free version should be all that's needed for simple image backups, cloning and mounting images. I'm going to be trying out some more advanced features like restoring to dissimilar hardware over a network.

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks
    F.U.N.
    What OS do you have I have W7-64 bit

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed my Workstation copy on W7-32-bit Ultimate and I'm presently trying to restore to a computer over the network using a Windows PE boot disc, so far so good (still copying the image to the new partition), but I've installed the free version on and made images of W7-64-bit and XP Pro 32-bit. Restored the XP image to different computers successfully several times but can't recall if I've ever tried the W7-64-bit recovery since I only have it on a couple systems and don't really care for that version as much.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Success so far, booted up, wanted to do a chkdsk so allowed that, booted up again right into the restored OS, very slow, looking for drivers, changed computer name to the one its on now, faster to boot up third time. I'm trying to restore the drivers I backed up with Double Driver, see if that works, if not I'll install Slimware drivers and see if it has something to say. I expect the system will be right as rain when I get the driver issues sorted. It was an Intel-based to Intel-based transfer/recovery so that had the best chance of working.

It does look like the EaseUS ToDo portion of the job is over and completed successfully. Reminds me of my XP transfer/restores so far though I never tried restoring backed up drivers from a program before.

Edit: Well between Double Driver and Slimdrivers Free, and uninstalling the ATI video card suite (using Intel onboard in the recipient) the driver issues seem sorted, programs are executing, system tools indicate the transfer is adapted and "stuck." It's still a little slow but now I think that difference is just the fact that I transferred to a platter disk from an SSD and its a mature install, not a fresh one. Next I'll have to try using ToDo WS to transfer the same image to an AMD-based system with NVIDIA graphics; that should be a more difficult task!

One thing I was hoping for that did not come to fruition is that ToDo Workstation on the transfer restore would just work but it is asking for activation so I guess I'll have to uninstall the WS version and install the free version on those systems for normal image backups because I don't want to have to boot with the Windows PE disc every time I want to make an image.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-04-07 at 13:05.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2013-04-07)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use flash drives for my backup. I have XP SP3 and I use 2 16gb flash drives. I backup with one, take it off site, then back up the other one here. Then on the first of the month, I do a fresh backup on the one at home and take it and exchange the other one. It has worked quite well for me, it's simple and it doesn't depend on other software. I just do a file copy on files that have changed and leave everything else alone. That way it takes very little time and since I put a fresh copy on backup up dated files, they are up to date. Any one have an opinion on this system. I know it is about time to replace both flash drives for security and safety. I have used these 2 years and though they only have been used for less then 50 copies I feel safer getting newer ones in the circuit this year.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya that's fine, its unlikely that both flash drives will fail at the same time, you still have the original data on your system presumably and you're getting one copy off site. You might want to get just one new flash drive, replace one and wait a while before replacing the other one, stagger the wear and tear, though if only changing relatively few files each time should be very easy on the flash drive. I delete and write new files to my little 2 gig flash drive twice a day and I've been doing that for more than 4 years without any sign (which there won't be in all likelihood; it will just die quick) of a problem.

ToDo Backup is a little bit of a misnomer. It probably should be called ToDo Disk and Partition Imaging and Cloning Backup; and it more for "backing" up the whole system partition or entire disk. It's something done less frequently as a safety measure to recover the operating system should something go wrong. I still need to make more regular backups of the data just as you do.

Lately I've been using ToDo to transfer a system image backup to a different system and restore it there, get the driver situation sorted, update the WEI, and change and activate that system's product code. I'm doing that because I have this one "master image" of a Windows 7 system and can get that working on any other system. Takes a little effort but is still easier than installing all my software on each and every system.

Thanks
    F.U.N.,

What file extension is used by To-Do for its image files?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, coincidentally the frothy mug is remindful of the mnemonic I use to remember it. Pabst Blue Ribbon is a Domestic beer correct? Though for all I know it's made in Germany now or something. Anyway .PBD.

Thanks
    F.U.N.

Thanks!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs