2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recovery suggestions for self-inflicted hard drive problem, please

I was a bit of a dunderhead last weekend. While trying to rescue an apparently corrupt 32Gb USB thumb drive, I deleted the volume using the Disk Management applet in the Windows 8 Management Console - only for all the files on my 1Tb Seagate Freeagent external hard drive to disappear. I'd killed the wrong volume and I'd really like to restore it.

After doing some Googling, I found an app called 'Partition Find and Mount' which, true to its name, analysed the disk, found the data and mounted it as a read-only virtual drive. The suggestion was that I copy off the data I need before reformatting the drive, copying the data back and everything would be happy in the garden.

Fortunately, the drive was less than half full, but there was still almost 350Gb of data on it. I began earlier today and I'm getting around 500KB/sec as a transfer rate copying it to another large external USB2 drive. That's about 30Mb/min. 350Gb is going to take about a week of solid copying to backup then another week to repatriate, (I need the interim drive for something else.).

Is there a quicker way? Some command-line based magic using DiskPart, for example? I've used the utility for very simple procedures in the past, but this is well outside of my comfort zone. I understand that I've just deleted the volume descriptor bytes from the header of the disk, so to speak, and I was hoping there was a clever way of recreating what was deleted, possibly by reverse-analysing the disk content. I may, of course, be spouting complete balderdash and should just suck it up, look on it as a character-building experience and NEVER DO IT AGAIN!

If anyone has any sensible suggestions, I'm only too happy to listen.

Thanks, guys.
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hello Steve,

the free version of Find an Mount is limited to 512kb/s during recovery. See here: http://findandmount.com/pfm/, so you could buy the Pro version which will significantly speed up recovery.

Alternatively, you could use the free partition recovery tool from MiniTool here : http://www.minitool-partitionrecover...overymore.html

Once you have the data recovered, take an image based backup and store it offline.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

SteveTetch (2013-12-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestion TT. I'd missed the proviso about the speed limitation on the free version of FindAndMount. I looked at the "free for non-commercial use" bit and thought it was a fully enabled package that you were on your honour not to use commercially.

I followed your link to the partition recovery tool from MiniTools and it worked like a charm. Less than five minutes after the download ended, I was back with a full working drive.

Thank you so much!!
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"