Lounger
    Thanks

Get XP-Mode working after restoring Windows 7 system drive image

Hi everyone.

Although Iíve been a member of Langaís List and Windows Secrets for ages, itís my 1st time posting in this forum.

Would appreciate some guidance on Disk Imaging of my XP-Mode files.

Currently, I create/update a system disk image (C: drive) about every 3 months on my system (Windows 7 Pro 32-bit) Ė 3 hard disks with about 5 partitions in each.

I have recently created a new Disk Image of my C: drive after installing XP-Mode with Virtual PC. The XP-Mode files are in my C: drive and the VHD file on my M: drive

My question is : if after making changes to the VHD file (whilst running XP-Mode), I then restore the recently created image of my system C: partition Ė will it affect the functioning of the XP-Mode VHD. In that the VHD file would be current Ė in the M: drive, but the settings etc. of XP-Mode and the Virtual PC folders, which are on the C: drive would revert to the restored system image Ė which might be 2 months old by then.

Does anyone have a step-by step guide on which files and folders I need to save and then copy back to the restored C: drive. Also which files I need to change the Ownership so that it still works after the restore.

Many thanks.

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Usually you have 3 key files:

The virtual machine shell information - usually named "Windows XP Mode".vmx - located at c:\users\YourUsername\Virtual Machines

The configuration file, usually C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Wind ows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Mode.vmc

Finally you have the .vhd file, which you have moved.

I suggest you test with these files, these are the obvious ones, but I have never tried something similar to what you are doing.

I would say, however, that unless you change configuration settings, the .vmcx and the .vhd files are the most relevant, as they have the vm's state and hard disk.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Mike Dee (2013-04-08)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That image restore scenario is one of the primary reasons I convert an XP Mode to a VMWare Player VM. All the pertinent VM files then reside on another drive in one folder and its only if the VMWare player software is outdated by a version or two that will have to be updated again. Also one no longer images the VM, just make a simple copy of the VM folder periodically after changes that justify such action and store that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Mike Dee (2013-04-08)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I'll just copy both the folders before restoring the system disk image - many thanks - Mike

Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there any particular version of VMWare Player that is recommended ? On a Google search, it leads me to VM's http://www.vmware.com/download/player/download.html which shows the latest version as 2.5.5 - whereas searching within VM's search box shows version 5.0 of 2012. Many thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Finally got to download version VMPlayer 5.02 - VM has so many links under the headings in all their webpages - it took me ages to find the one for VMPlayer - hope to try it out next week. Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I'll just copy both the folders before restoring the system disk image
    Ya, that will work as long as the VM is of little importance or you're periodically copying them as a backup. I have full-scoot OSes running in VM (coming from one right now) that I move around to various systems so needed a more inclusive package, plus VirtualPC is limited to something like 50 gigs diskspace and I typically need 100 or more, VMWare just gives me a bunch of extra flexibility and enhancements even as a free version.

If you want to import the XP mode to VMWare Player install version 3.0x first, there is an import XP mode right in the menu. When that's done, run it once and see if it's good to go, then copy or move the VM folder wherever you want it if not there already, upgrade to version 5.02, install the VMware tools when prompted and you'll be good to go.

Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N. - Many thanks for the tip - Mike

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    YW, I think VMWare was explicitly asked/told to remove that import XP mode option from the next major version, but VMWare loopholed MS by just leaving the old version readily available if one knows where to look.