Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had problems with Acronis True Image as well. At first it quit backing up, then later started working again. Now it won't Recover ANY of my images correctly. It sort of recovers them, but not correctly, whether I use Windows or use the Acronis disk and Safe Mode. I have recovered some of these images before in the past, but now Acronis is just flakey - NOT what you want in a "safety" imaging program. I'm pretty mad that I actually paid for this piece of junk - and Acronis "support" refused to help unless I paid them AGAIN for their so-called "latest and greatest." And I had recommended Acronis to people in the past - I intend to fix that impression.

I have switched to Comodo Backup and so far so good. I had images from when I first installed my OS & Hardware all the way up to current, with an online "Log" where I jotted down everything I did between images that would affect the system, which I can no longer Restore - what a waste of my time. My system drive has only that, the system - the registry, drivers and installed programs, so it is fairly small and doesn't alter any data or email I don't want altered when a system backup is restored.

My Documents, email store, and application data folders are all on a separate partition which I back up with 2nd Copy (which has worked like a charm for 10 years (with updates). It maintains an uncompressed duplicate of my data partition on demand (not background - although it will do that too) by bringing my backup partition into an exact mirror of my documents partition.

I had a really good backup plan, but Acronis screwed it up and refused to repair their damage. Comodo has been very responsive so far - and hey! Their backup is not only better than Acronis, it's FREE!!

I also had Avast Anti-Virus slow down my boot up and shut down to the extent that it started actually hanging! I switched to Comodo for anti-virus (already had their firewall) - both free, but now I'm going to get their paid Internet Security because I have come to trust them and their stuff doesn't cause everything to creep along. Since I switched everything to Comodo products, everything has been humming right along.

I would dump Acronis before you get into a jam where you REALLY NEED IT and it fails you at the worst possible time and then they won't support it.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Maggie,

Welcome to the "ex-Acronis" club.

Zig

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post

Welcome to the "ex-Acronis" club.

Zig
    "Zigster"
    Hello... I understand your sentiment completely... With one exception... My experience with Acronis

1. Version 11 ... works on XP, Vista , "7" ... OK but very slow Imaging and Recovering.
    2. Version 2009 ... Total loser It's like someone who had no idea about Imaging...made a backup program...Maybe CEO's son-in-law.
    3. Version 2010 (7046)... Works with XP , Vista , "7" very fast, both with Imaging or recovering...Never has let me down done hundreds of images and scores of recoveries.
    4. 2012, 2013 don't like the cartoon like interface, stupid backup naming, also had problems with finding "backups" or running them. Don't have "Windows 8" so i just gave up on them both..
    5. Bottom line.... If you use XP , Vista, or "7" Acronis 2010 (v 7046) works Imaging , Cloning , Recovering, 32 or 64 bit...Regards Fred

PS: Macrium Reflect Pro (5870) also works but not as fast as Acronis 2010..."Use em both"
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

I found that 7046 would do adequate manual backups, but not automated (scheduled) backups with deletion of outdated files/filesets. I'm too lazy for manual, and feel that it would discourage the average user from getting around to doing the b/u which, of course, is the whole point.

The Zigmeister

Thanks
    I'm sure it's just me, but I simply can't put any faith at all in automated backups of any kind. Of course, my setup is different than most, and my drive image regimen is considerably different than most, but I don't want any deletion happening unless I am specifically doing it.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]I'm sure it's just me, but I simply can't put any faith at all in automated backups of any kind.
    "B" ,
    Hello.. I can say that you're not the only one ... as i only do "Manual Backups" for much the same . Everyone should do a (at least one) full OS Image before "fooling" with anything.. No exceptions ...believe me when i say that i have been "burned" by not taking my own advice .Also do at the very least ...one Full OS backup every week...saving one month's worth, or more ....and not on the same disk... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    B&F,

While I agree with you both in principle (especially about doing one manual b/u first), in the real world, too many people aren't going to take your advice and simply will find the whole b/u thing too onerous to be done regularly (mine are nightly - overnight- with success or failure notifications). Lemme take a wild guess here (I'm a senior myself) - you are both retired, right??? You've earned your time off, but for those of us still working, it's just another chore (unless we're IT for a living). Not to be contentious, but anything that make the b/u process easier ensures that it will get done.

Zig

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Lemme take a wild guess here you are both retired, right???
    Zig,
    Hello... I had a job once....didn't like it.....
    PlainFred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    2. Version 2009 ... Total loser It's like someone who had no idea about Imaging...made a backup program...Maybe CEO's son-in-law.
    3. Version 2010 (7046)... Works with XP , Vista , "7" very fast, both with Imaging or recovering...Never has let me down done hundreds of images and scores of recoveries.
    Interesting because 2010 was the last version that I ever used of Acronis--complete waste of non-functioning crud while the 2009 version has yet to be improved upon; just ask me and Carey Holzman. Here's the kicker though; in this case I'm speaking only of the Workstation version. They must have different teams working on the different versions...some more hip to computer function than others!

Or two teams and they switch from year to year.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-04-29 at 10:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello RG,

Please clarify for me:
    "...I always did when using Acronis." What are you using now???
    Tnx a bunch!

Sue

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    He has posted some experiences with Macrium Reflect so that would be my strong suspicion.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/149416-Epiphany

Thanks
    I am using Acronis True Image 2013 and it has never failed me. But then again Acronis 2010 and 2011 never failed me either.

One thing I always do is to boot to the Rescue Boot Disk I created when I first install whatever version of Acronis I'm using, and create my Images from there. I have, but do not now create my Images from within Windows. Supposedly there is no difference between from within Windows and outside Windows from the Boot Disk, but my feeling is why add extra complexity to such an important task.

I create new Images each month after installing updates on patch Tuesday, then immediately Restore those Images before continuing. Again, they have never failed!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12