New Lounger
    Thanks

Recover file deleted from NAS?

I mistakenly deleted a file from my NAS - Synology DS210j.
    I hoped to use 'recuva' but the NAS unit, though visible, can't be accessed in recuva.
    I took out one of the RAID 1 disks from the NAS, installed it directly to my PC (Win7). Using Speccy, the disk is visible, contains 3 partitions (2.37Gb, 2.00Gb, 461Gb). But no drive letter, so unreachable within Windows. So recuva again not usable.
    I contacted the professionals - way too expensive.
    Where is the way forward here, please?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Did you try to assign a disk letters to the partitions using Disk Management?

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I did try, using Disk Management - not allowed.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, you're going to need something that can look at the file format the disk is in first and foremost I would think, and then be able to look for deleted files specifically. I'm guessing that the file system is EXT3 or EXT4. Found one program on sourceforge that might work if that is the format and nothing too proprietary is added by Synology.
    Seems to me you'll need a LINUX install of some sort and some command line learning if such is not your forte already.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The NAS may use it's own format, making recovery impossible. I would ask the NAS manufacturer first.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I added a Ubuntu Linux PC to the network. That gave me the same management access to the NAS that I have with Windows.
    The Sourceforge program (5 star lounger advice) looks a bit scary with my skills.
    Eventually I got lucky and found a not too old backup copy elsewhere on my system, so it's no longer urgent.
    So far I haven't been able to get any useful advice from Synology.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently over on the Synology forum they say you can activate the recycle bin on the NAS even after you have deleted the file:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewto...?f=160&t=53092

But probably more helpful is the synology advice to use an Ubuntu Live CD (but I would guess you will also need a Linux undelete program like extundelete, foremost, or similar):

http://www.synology.com/support/faq_...g=enu&q_id=579

There appears to be a lot of links that come up when googling "undelete synology nas"
    Last edited by edmcguirk; 2013-06-13 at 09:25.

Thanks
    FWIW, although not directly related to the problem with the RAID NAS, I recently had my NAS go south. This was a standard USB 2.0 WD 1.5 Tb drive hooked into a Cisco EA4500 router using the NAS hardware in the router. The router took a hit during a thunder storm, even though attached to a UPS, and lost the NAS definition which would not restore from a saved backup of the router configuration file. However, just plugging the USB HD directly into a computer revealed that all the files were still in tact which made recovery a snap. Hope this may help someone else reading this thread with a slightly different problem.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might want to contact this guy http://fixit.litten.com/ James is real good, helped my recover an external drive. Tell him I sent you!