Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect: will it do a proper drive clone?

I have an Acer netbook model Aspire One D-150 in which I had used Perfect Image 12 to clone the HDD to another drive using a USB-bridge cable to the outboard SATA drive. The process gave me a proper copy on the receiving HDD but left the source drive nuked! This happened twice: in one instance, the 160GB source drive had 4 partitions shown on it (this through XP system tools disk management) with one stating 984 GB! Oy. I had also tried to import a backup disk image back ONTO the nuked drive via an outboard backup drive and an external optical USB drive which never got anywhere. My supposition is that an HDD with no operable OS cannot provide the drivers necessary for the Optical drive to connect, at least not using the Perfect Image.
    Anyway, my question is this for users of Macrium Reflect (preferably the free version) who have done a cloning: how well did it work? Did it actually do a proper transfer of the OS while leaving the original drive OS intact? To get to this point, I had to go out and buy another Aspire One to get a working OS; XP home with the idea of cloning the drive. Right. I have tried to get information out of Avanquest for the Perfect Image but get no answer after several inquiries. The other possibility is using another computer and 2 USB bridges to connect the working and empty drives to do the transfer. Might this work?
    Basically I want to get working drives for both of the netbooks and make a spare backup drive just in case. This why I ask: after the prior attempts, I want hands-on info from experienced users who have tried this. I don't want to jeopardize my only working system: Acer restoration depends on a working restore partition which is not available on the other drives; they are empty. Thanks.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Toasting the source drive via cloning is either a procedural error or a complete fluke or really bad software. I haven't heard of Macrium Reflect doing that at all, maybe if source and destination are swapped but that would be a different procedural error. I use EaseUS TODO Free version 5.3 now and I've cloned entire drives, cloned one or two partitions to SSDs, made partition images (not the whole drive) and restored those to the same system and to different systems as boot drives; all 100% successfully and harming nary a bit of the source drive's content. I either use a USB/SATA bridge cable or direct internal SATA/SATA. Also a double USB/SATA bridge clone on a host system will work I think. Just have to check three times and verify each time correctly that the source and destination are correct.

Thanks
    I have never heard of that either, but then I have never heard of Perfect Image 12. Acronis can easily accomplish what you wish to do as well. I actually prefer Imaging because this allows me to store many different Images on the same Ext. HD, including Images from different PCs. I have several Images from 4 different PCs, plus data storage from 2 of those PCs on the same 1 Tb Ext USB HD, and still have just under half the space still available on the Ext. HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The paid version of Macrium can also easily do what you want to do as well.

Dick

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Curiously enough, I just got off the phone with Avanquest (Soft City does their technical inquiries) about this problem and it is one that they have never heard of. We eventually came to the conclusion that the netbook environment has something to do with my woes (BTW, Perfect Image 12 is a rebranded Paragon product.) Trying to do a backup image recovery does not work because the netbook with a missing OS cannot sense the USB-connected drives. The PI 12 has worked nicely on recovery in my XP desktop that has internally connected HDDs.

I have heard of Acronis but have read of a number of instances in which it did not work. Forget abut any Norton product; I've had too many headaches with them.

The question now would be: does the Macrium recovery disk (I assume there is one) have its own start-up system so that it can do a backup recovery with an otherwise totally unresponsive OS? I currently have 2 boot-up CDs, an Ultimate Boot CD, v. 5.02 and a System Rescue -x86 CD. One of them will not give me any action, the other will boot into a number of otherwise useful operations. This is the kind of backup recovery program I could use: one that would function even when the system OS is brain-dead.

For F.U.N. Downtown, what kind of system were you using to do your clones? Probably not a netbook, I'll bet. I am coming to the conclusion that to properly do my cloning, I'll have to use 2 USB bridges to make the transfer to prevent the nuking of the source drive.
    Last edited by shadowjack; 2013-01-29 at 12:34. Reason: more info

Thanks
    Yes, Macrium Reflect does have a Rescue Boot Disk to allow booting on an unresponsive system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Desktop and laptop systems only, never a netbook or anything lacking an optic drive. Same type of image recovery (TODO Rescue Disc) as Macrium.

It depends on the task at hand whether it is more appropriate to clone or image.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does this then mean that the Macrium rescue disk has the equivalent of a live CD to start it's action because something like that is needed to boot into the netbook; it is the same as a totally nonresponsive system. The rescue disk must supply some sort of driver for the netbook or an equivalent to allow the netbook to do operations in its current state. Maybe I should download it to one of my other computers, make the rescue disk and give it a try to see if a boot will occur. If so, I could make a backup image of the working HDD then use the rescue disk to import it back on the blank drive(s), thereby saving my working drive. Hurray!

Thanks
    Macrium Reflect USB Rescue Options
    I recommend creating the WinPE rescue USB stick from the above article.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried cloning a laptop HD to another using Macrium Reflect free. In fact i tried it several times. i was able to read both HD's after the clone ended but I was never able to boot from the target drive. I finally installed a fresh copy of Win XP and all the drivers for the laptop and the apps I wanted on it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used the free Macrium Reflect 3 times in the last 3 weeks on different systems. Two laptops and one desktop. Each time the requirement was to clone the existing OS to a new larger drive.

The first was my brother's laptop, standard 80gb hdd to 128GB SSD on Acer Aspire 5315 with Windows 7 ultimate, the drive was more than 90% full. Cloned perfectly in about 20 minutes, using a Digiflex drive caddy . Checked that the new drive booted properly. Then used MiniTool's Partition Wizard Home to resize the partitions on the drive.

Second PC was my Desktop Tower changed a 64GB SSD for a 128GB SSD boot drive. Plugged the drive inside the tower. Cloned perfectly in about 10 minutes then checked it booted before using Windows 8 built in disk manager to increase the partition size.

The third was my daughter's laptop, standard 80gb hdd to 320GB hdd, also on an Acer Aspire 5315 with Windows 7 ultimate, the drive was more than 90% full. This time I used my USB-multi drive bridge tool like this one to connect. Cloned perfectly in about 20 minutes. Checked it booted OK then used Partition Magic on a bootable pendrive, to resize the partitions.

A tip on re-sizing drives; make sure that you increase the partitions in one step. It is easier if you use the sliders. If you make a mistake stop before you apply the changes and begin again. If you move and expand into empty space the re-partition tool knows it does not have to read all the blank space and can do it very quickly. If you expand first then move it has to read all the empty space and write every empty block.

Bob
    Last edited by greytech; 2013-04-21 at 08:36.
    Expert help is less costly than inexpert help

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been doing the same thing with EaseUS ToDo, up to 4 systems and counting, bare metal restores from a master image. In a couple of cases going from a larger image drive to a smaller drive. EaseUS ToDo does not have to do a sector by sector clone or restore so partition adjustment or aborted operations when restoring to a smaller drive are not needed or result.
    Does Macrium not have that ability as well or are you restoring/cloning sector by sector as a preference?
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-04-21 at 12:03.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Does Macrium not have that ability as well or are you restoring/cloning sector by sector as a preference?
    F.U.N.,

Not sure if this is what you're asking.. I'm using Macrium Reflect Pro Regards Fred

PS: Checked the free version... It will do "Cloning Operations" as above, but doesn't have all the same ability as the "Pro" (Pay For ) version
    See Macrium Reflect version comparison
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-04-21 at 13:44.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems to be along the same lines. I always meant to try them both (EaseUS and Macrium Reflect) but never had a jot of bother from ToDo so never followed through. I couldn't find anything explicit about cloning or restoring to a smaller drive though; something I've done several times now as SSD drive sizes are more a category of similar sizes rather than a dependable one; so from the 256GB original to a 250 and a 240 and a couple of 180's has gone off without a hitch.

Intelligent sector copying should allow for that I reckon; haven't seen anything to confirm that though.

Edit: In number 5 in this KB article, seems partition cloning is a simple matter of a bi-directional slider, so one might assume the same in the case of drive cloning?
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-04-21 at 15:40.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An update: I downloaded the free Macrium reflect and used it to make a disk image of another Acer D150 I purchased. I then used the program to install the image onto 2 other HDD and it worked perfectly. For some reason, the Linux based disc did not operate properly, possibly due to the fact that netbooks must use outboard optical disc drives. The PE version worked great. Fortuitously AskLeo had a tutorial about the program at the time so I was able to properly check it out. I now have 2 Acer netbooks and a spare imaged HDD just in case. I did not try to do a clone.