Thanks

Update query not working

This has probably got a very simple answer, but it's driving me round the bend.
    I want to update a field which contains a filename (directory and filename) where the filename has spaces. I want to remove the spaces. The filenames are of the form:
    C:\Users\Pictures\C Olympus slides\Cx.jpg (where x is a 4 character number).
    I tried using an update query, with a new field to receive the new data (so I don't screw up the original filed) of the form

left([scanname],26) + "C_Olympus_slides" + mid([scanname],43).

But when I hit enter, it just comes up with "There was an error compiling this function - the Visual Basic module contains a syntax error. Check the code and recompile it". I am convinced I've done this sort of thing before and have a similar query on another table which doesn't have the error. Please help an old man from thinking he's completely lost his marbles.

Many thanks

Malcolm

Oops, its Access 2003

Thanks
    Well, I shut down the database, went away and tidied up the pets in the garden, then came back and tried with a different database (just a left function) and it worked. Went back to my original database - and guess what? It worked this time. So I'm not losing my marbles, but I have no idea why it decided to cause me grief (software doesn't deliberately cause grief to people does it?). I'm sure I restarted the database - perhaps I didn't (that much is down to age!).