Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with email and Win8

Not sure if this is the right forum, but unable to find one more relevant.

I have run in to a problem whilst searching for an email client for Win 8.

Neither Outlook Express nor Windows Mail is available, and webmail is not wanted. I took a look at Windows Live Mail, but was put off by the statement that my mail stays on their server until I delete it, thus creating unnecessary work – plus there is the suspicion that it doesn’t even download to my PC – in which case it’s no more than webmail. Where the name ‘live’ comes from is a mystery. Deciding to look into this, the requirement to open a MS account appeared, at which point I logged off.

Further searching failed to produce a viable alternative, so I returned to Live Mail to take another look. A big mistake!

Not only did I have to install .Net 3.5, but Live Mail is lumped in with four other junk products as Windows Essentials. Despite clicking ‘choose which to install’ and selecting only Mail all five installed. I have been able to remove Live Messenger, but it seems the others can only deleted with the whole of WE. But prior to this I began reading about the MS account when disaster struck. I thought I was scrolling down to the next part of the terms, but must have caught the AGREE link, because it started downloading, or perhaps MS is so desperate for custom that it ignores one’s choices, as with the download of all of WE.

Of course I can uninstall Live Mail along with the rest of WE, but how to get rid of the MS account once it has been opened, and so stop them spying on me and selling my email to anyone willing to pay. Both MS and Google are striving to dominate the internet, and can not be trusted.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    George,

When you choose Delete in the WLM main window it does get deleted from the server. After you have reviewed all your mail, saved the mail you wish to save in the appropriate folder and deleted everything you do not wish to save, just click on the X after the Trash folder and banish all deleted mail forever.

I do not see this as extra work, but organizing my email to allow me to find a certain email after the fact.

See if this thread in a Windows 8 Forum helps. Windows Mail can be enabled in Win 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Thanks. Pegasus Mail sounded interesting, until a later posting said that security hasn’t been updated for years. However, I may give it a try if nothing else turns up.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    George,

When you choose Delete in the WLM main window it does get deleted from the server. After you have reviewed all your mail, saved the mail you wish to save in the appropriate folder and deleted everything you do not wish to save, just click on the X after the Trash folder and banish all deleted mail forever.
    Ted,
    That doesn’t sound too tedious, I had imagined that one had to log on to the server and delete the files one by one, as when accessing mail from an ISP when on holiday.

However, there is still the suspicion that the files do not download to my PC but remain on the server, whereas I want the files I am going to keep on my PC and organised in the relevant folders in My Docs, NOT in the cloud. Also, WLM demands a MS account, which I have avoided until the unfortunate mishap yesterday, and my main concern at the moment is how to cancel it, both with MS and all the companies they share it with.

Thanks for the link to the thread in the Lounge – my attempt, using ‘email for Windows 8’ as the search entry only looked for ‘mail’ and ‘Windows’, deluging me with irrelevant posts. But bobprimark has doubts about the legality of the procedure, and it’s somewhat disconcerting that your current link only produced two responses, one finding it a godsend and the other unable to make it work, apart from confusing me with references to Program Files and Program Files (x86). You may recall that the security of my laptop is still uncertain, due to being installed from the Philippines (you and –Bill were the most helpful in that regard) and I want to avoid any further complications by reverse engineering. But once again, many thanks for all your help.

George
    Last edited by georgelee; 2013-04-08 at 07:39. Reason: added thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you setting up your own e-mail server? If not, you're going to have an online e-mail account through your ISP, or Hotmail or Google...which is all webmail.

There are settings in virtually every e-mail Client; like Outlook Express, MS Live, Thunderbird, etc., to set your system to download the messages and delete them off the server at the same time.

Unless I'm way off base no reputable e-mail client, including Hotmail and Google, will ever sell your information to anyone. There are lots of articles on how to spam-proof your e-mail box, and how to safeguard your system with a decent password.

Thanks
    Are you using a pop mail account? If so, you don't need a to log in to a Microsoft account with Windows Live Mail and the downloaded Email doesn't remain on a server unless you check that option in advanced settings. It works just like Outlook express in that regard.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    George, why not Thunderbird?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    George,
    In post #2, I refrained from sharing my own personal preferences but John259 raises a good question. I found Thunderbird to be the closest email client to Outlook Express. I had been using T-Bird since the days of XP but recently switched to Postbox, which works nicely in Windows 7 and Windows 8.
    Check out the link below:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...44770516,d.dmQ

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @BigMac56 No, I’m not setting up a server. Yes, I want to continue with an online e-mail account through my ISP, but for that one needs OE or Windows Mail - both of which are unavailable to Win 8 - or something similar, where the choice seems to be quite restricted.

There are settings in virtually every e-mail Client; like Outlook Express, MS Live, Thunderbird, etc., to set your system to download the messages and delete them off the server at the same time.
    That's what I wish to continue, but from what I've read that may not be available in WLM.
    Google and Hotmail reputable? LOL.

@ jwitalka Jerry, I was informed when installing Win 8 that one had to use IMAT as POP3 was not available. I certainly hope you are right about this, but have no idea how to set it up, as clicking on Mail brings up a message that I need to open a MS account, and having accidentally downloaded WLM it now insists that I open an account.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2013-04-08 at 15:49.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John259 View Post
    Two reasons. Firstly Google are apparently leaving TB to wither on the vine, and secondly I tried it some years ago and hated it. As far as I can remember it was because of all the space filled with rubbish down the left hand side. That is probably irrelevant with the modern fashion for wide screens - which I deplore - and I may well give it another try.
    Thanks for regularly coming to my assistance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    @ jwitalka Jerry, I was informed when installing Win 8 that one had to use IMAT as POP3 was not available. I certainly hope you are right about this, but have no idea how to set it up, as clicking on Mail brings up a message that I need to open a MS account, and having accidentally downloaded WLM it now insists that I open an account.
    That was for the native Windows 8 Metro mail client. POP or IMAP are not OS features, they are email client features, so any client that supports POP will allow you to access your email accounts using POP.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    As RUI indicated, the need to use IMAP is only fro the Metro Mail App. If you download and install Windows Live Mail on the desktop, you just need to run it and it will ask you to add a new account. This can be POP as well as IMAP. If you already installed an IMAP account., just delete it.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui + Jerry. Thanks for the clarification, it seems that most of what I read about Win 8 prior to installing it related to the Mickey Mouse interface, or perhaps I only remembered the things that would add complications.

Thunderbird has now been installed and seems a reasonable replacement for OE. The only difficulty was finding how to delete emails, as I was looking in the usual place at the top of the page. Now WLM can be uninstalled along with the rest of Windows Essentials, and just hope that the MS account was not activated as I didn’t set a password or user name.

So the whole issue was just needless hassle which would have been avoided if my memory was better. Your help is very much appreciated, as usual.

George

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    The only difficulty was finding how to delete emails
    There are various ways, including:
    with the relevant message selected, press the Delete button on the keyboard;
    or:
    right-click the relevant message, then select the Delete option from the resulting menu (probably the bottom-most option)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast