Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auslogics vs. CCleaner - which one is better at detecting problems?

I've had CCleaner installed on my computer for quite a while (haven't used it to clean the Registry yet - I'm ectremely cautious about doing such things).
    I recently installed Auslogics Disk Defragmenter. I've only used it so far to analyze the disk and check system health.

CCleaner shows many (haven't counted) registry errors, but it has always done that, even on my old XP system. I've never trusted it to automatically clean the Registry (probably never will).

Auslogics shows that I have 195 Registry errors, and 320 "Junk files" (even after opening Disk Properties and using Disk Cleanup).

My question is, can I trust either (or both) to be accurate, and should I let either one clean my registry? Also, how come Auslogics finds so many junk files that Disk Cleanup apparently missed, and should I allow Auslogics to "clean up" these files?

Just a note: I'm not experiencing any problems with my computer, even with all the "issues" that these two programs say I have.

Thanks
    I use CCleaner whenever I uninstall an app to clean up the registry. I look for items just related the uninstall. I have NEVER had a problem after CCleaner cleaned things up for me. However, just make a system Image, then do a full registry cleanup. If something bad happens it only takes about 10 minutes to get back where you started. Once you have cleaned things up, just check it when you uninstall something.

I used Auslogics defragger for a while but was not pleased with the nag screens, so uninstalled it. The Windows defragment tool works very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    We all have dormant DNA in us, stuff for scales, tails, and a working appendix. Once in a great while something goes wrong and something that was dormant is expressed and needs to be dealt with as best as possible, but that doesn't mean we should all have our DNA "cleaned." Anytime one messes with the registry, no matter how gentle and benign, the risk of damage is elevated.

If it's something specific one needs to go in and get because entries are causing problems with reinstalling a program or something, that is one thing, but elective surgery is not a good idea in the long run, sooner or later there'll be a problem directly related to how many times the registry goes under the knife because the software is assessing each time; that can go, that can't, that is questionable so leave it, whereas if left alone, those dormant entries will never cause a problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for your replies.

Medico, I have no problem with the Windows defragger (I started using it because Ultimate Defrag deleted my restore points with Win 7), but there's very little visual information or user options while defrag is taking place (one of the things I liked about Ultimate Defrag). I picked Auslogics because it had the ability to use VSS mode, (which protects the restore points in Win 7 and Vista), provides excellent user control, and has very good user feedback online. As I noted, I haven't used it yet to actually defrag my disk, so I can't comment about the nag screens yet. I might also dump it.

F.U.N., I tend to agree with you about overly manipulating the registry. However, since I first posted, I've run NTREGOPT (part of the ERUNT package), and got an error message for the first time ever (see attachment). I've been using this program for years on my old computer with never an error, so I'm thinking maybe I need to do something about it (although, as I said, I'm not seeing any problems with my computer).

I do have a Registry backup (made with ERUNT, and saved on a flash drive as well as my hard drive), and I also have a full disk image (made with Acronis onto a separate external hard drive), but since I've never had to do a full install with it, I'd really prefer not to use that.

Bottom line, I think I might have to do a Registry cleaning/repair (depending on how you guys interpret the error NTREGOPT message, if you can). In that case, my original questions still need to be answered ("Can I trust either (or both) to be accurate, and should I let either one clean my registry? Also, how come Auslogics finds so many junk files that Disk Cleanup apparently missed, and should I allow Auslogics to "clean up" these files?").
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    I trust CCleaner; I don't know anything about Auslogics.

CCleaner has been one of the choices of IT professionals for a long time, and I have never personally heard anything negative about it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The reason for the error is given in the FAQ here. As you can see, nothing to worry about in the least.

The answer to the latter question is subjective, literally, one program might be looking for those types of files and the other one not. Both are going to try and give the best, yet most conservative estimate (safest) of what can be removed while protecting the integrity of the computer. Strictly a dust bunnies under the bed approach. If either of them became too aggressive and messed things up say, 5% or even 1% of the time, their reputation would be kaput. Some folks just can't stand the dust bunnies however.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I trust CCleaner; I don't know anything about Auslogics.

CCleaner has been one of the choices of IT professionals for a long time, and I have never personally heard anything negative about it.
    Didn't Dr. Who have a horror story or two, or was that just with Windows update? I think CCleaner is a fine program as well, just steer clear of the registry cleaner portion. When I used to use it regularly I would occasionally develop little odd problems here and there, nothing ever catastrophic, and only discovered after the fact so I can't be certain those problems were directly associative, but since not using any registry cleaner, almost no problems ever. So either the computer software reliability within the same OS (Win XP Pro) has progressed quite nicely or some of the problems were from CCleaner.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, thanks for the reply. Have you actually used CCleaner to clean the registry? Any problems (note F.U.N.'s comment about Dr. Who' problems - I also seem to remember that, now that I've been reminded)?

F.U.N., thanks for the pointer to the FAQ, that sets my mind at ease.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not cut to the chase as Medico suggested - take an image - and, only then, let CCleaner clean your registry.
    I have used it for years with no problems; and, of course, I have always had images to fall back to if I have screwed something up (usually because of "playing around" with new software; never because of something CCleaner did when cleaning my registry.)

My opinion . . . for what it's worth.
    Dick

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Les,

I think this discussion is getting a bit like the Dear Abby toilet paper over/under, PC VS Mac, Pepsi vs Coke, etc. arguments. That is, this has been my experience and why doesn't everyone do what I do. Personally, I think Medico had the best advice Image your drive then have at it and see what happens and develop your own method of doing things, experience is the best teacher. That's the nice thing about Imaging you can take chances because it's easy enough to get a do over! Remember no one ever learned anything while their lips were moving. Have fun experimenting.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    Jim, thanks for the reply. Have you actually used CCleaner to clean the registry? Any problems (note F.U.N.'s comment about Dr. Who' problems - I also seem to remember that, now that I've been reminded)?

F.U.N., thanks for the pointer to the FAQ, that sets my mind at ease.
    I have personally used CCleaner to clean the registry, and I have never personally had a problem with it.

A couple of years ago, my wife's Windows 2000 computer was shutting down after several minutes of operation. One of the things I tried was the CCleaner registry cleaner. It made improvements, but didn't resolve the problem. What resolved it was replacing the video card, which had gone bad and was greatly overheating the system.

The only thing is, make sure you back up your registry before running CCleaner (or any other registry cleaner).
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-04-08 at 16:23.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, thanks. I use ERUNT for a registry backup. I also create a restore point before editing the registry. I will also export the registry to a registry data file (although I think that if I have a problem, the exported data file does not replace the existing registry, but adds itself to the existing registry - is that true?).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I recently installed Auslogics Disk Defragmenter. I've only used it so far to analyze the disk and check system health.

Auslogics shows that I have 195 Registry errors, and 320 "Junk files" (even after opening Disk Properties and using Disk Cleanup).

My question is, can I trust either (or both) to be accurate, and should I let either one clean my registry? Also, how come Auslogics finds so many junk files that Disk Cleanup apparently missed, and should I allow Auslogics to "clean up" these files?
    Auslogics Disk Defrag (free) is only a disk defragmenter program. Its System Health tab which shows a number of Registry Errors and Junk Files is merely an encouragement to pay $50 for Auslogics BoostSpeed 5 which may deal with those. In that circumstance, it's beneficial (to them, not your wallet) for Auslogics to identify the maximum possible numbers of "fixable problems".

Auslogics does have a free Registry Cleaner, but it does not deal with junk files.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-04-08 at 16:54. Reason: minor correction to program title

Thanks
    My personal advice is don't use any registry cleaner at any time for any reason. Period.

A quote from the link:

"Windows uses a binary search when looking up keys, which means that even to look up a key in 4.2 billion keys it needs to look at maximally 32 keys. It isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference if there are a half-million obsolete keys present."

I read in a blog some time ago that cleaning the registry is like sweeping out a single parking space in a parking lot the size of Montana. I agree whole-heartedly.

For a specific problem (bad install/uninstall) clean the registry by hand to clear the problem, or just restore your last drive image.

As for CCleaner, I have it installed, but I don't use it to clean anything. I just get a giggle whenever I run it. I have Windows Cleanmgr.exe set as a task in Task Scheduler using the sagerun switch (I set the parameters with sageset) and it runs every morning early, while I'm asleep.

When I run CCleaner, I always use the default settings, and click the Analyze button. It always finds about the same number of files, and they are files that I don't necessarily want to delete. But the point is that the number of files doesn't grow; it may vary slightly up or down depending on time of day and how much I've been using the PC (the Cleanmgr task runs at 6:00 AM) but it doesn't grow over time.

And as far as defraggers, I use MyDefrag. It's free, no nag screens, customizable, uses the Windows API to do the actual file moving, and can be set as a task in Task Scheduler. It will even run unobtrusively in the background with no noticeable effect on system performance.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, thanks. I use ERUNT for a registry backup. I also create a restore point before editing the registry. I will also export the registry to a registry data file (although I think that if I have a problem, the exported data file does not replace the existing registry, but adds itself to the existing registry - is that true?).
    I would say/guess the backup file is a full replacement snapshot, it wouldn't be of as much value if it tried to integrate back in with the existing registry after a bomb has gone off.

I like the responses, tells one all they need to know, one faction says no point in using RegCleaner for entries that won't bother anything for the life of the computer, ans one faction says, go ahead, I've never had a problem...but take out that really big fat life insurance policy first!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast