Thread: Bug in IE10?

Lounger
    Thanks

Bug in IE10?

I think I've found a bug in IE10 when running on Windows 7 64Bit. I posted it with Microsoft Connect, and they immediately closed it as un-reproducible. I provided some more information and they re-opened it, but nothing since so now I'm wondering if anyone here in the Lounge is able to reproduce it or provide further troubleshooting if perhaps it is my system. This post may be a little too "Nerdy" or long for some users, who may wish to move on now. I know the real Nerds will read it and I thank you in advance.

First some background: I've been doing PC Desktop Support since the mid '80s beginning with Dos 3.21, moving through Windows 3.0 (I actually have a MS Certification on WFW3.11 and MS-Dos 6 - the first such certifications offered I believe) on up to the present.

My (Home/Office) network consists of a WHS 2011 Server and 4 workstations, all running Win 7(x64) with SP1 and all applicable updates. 2 of the systems are used by other family members, and I have a standard "clone" desktop which I use most of the time I'm home and a Dell Vostro laptop for when I'm out in the field. My main resource is my "Downloads" folder (designated in both systems as my default download location), which lives on a shared folder on the Server. I have created "Libraries" on the Desktop and the Laptop which point to this folder, and the Laptop uses Windows 7 Pro's "Off-Line Files" feature to cache the folder while I'm out and about. Although not important here, for "snippets" of information I use MS OneNote sync'd to my SkyDrive so I can access them from my phone. With a few tweaks here and there, this system has served me well for a number of years and made it mostly irrelevant which machine I'm actually sitting in front of.

I don't run Beta software on my production systems, so I waited until Windows Update presented IE10. I do like to "test" stuff before my clients are likely to get it, so I allowed the update. I do read Susan's column regularly but I don't have a "Hybrid" video card and (other than I describe) I haven't seen any problems with it so far.

Except... When it came time to download updates to some of my "Tools", I found the downloads to be failing much of the time. The download would count down from 0 - 100%, then fail just before the security check. Looking at the "Partial-download" file, the file size looked to be correct as if the download had actually completed. After testing on 3 of my systems to be sure, then using my phone as a "HotSpot" to eliminate some weirdness with my ISP, I was pretty convinced something was going on. The downloads seemed to be failing about 30% of the time, and no site seemed immune, but the problem seemed to be more consistent when I downloaded from an aggregator such as CNet or FileHippo, although I'm not sure why. Eventually I found I could easily reproduce the problem by downloading ccleaner, recuva and/or malwarebytes from either of those sites - as I said, about 30% failure rate. As soon as I reverted to IE9, the problem went away, if I updated back to IE10, the problem recurred. Please note the problem only occurs when saving to the Shared Folder, which is my default download location. There are never any problems if I save directly to the desktop.

I use MSE as my antivirus and found that disabling "real-time" protection would allow the downloads to complete successfully. It might be MSE's fault, but it only happened under IE10 and reverting back to 9 would always make the problem go away. Testing further, I found another interesting thing, pointing to maybe "timing" as an issue. Even with MSE enabled, after clicking on "download" on the website the files appear to download in the background as soon as the "open" or "save" dialogs appear. By delaying the click on "save" for several minutes until I could assume the background download had finished, I could then click "save", the countdown would immediately go from 0 - 100%, and the file would be save successfully. If I immediately clicked on the "save" dialog as soon as it came up, it was likely the download would "fail".

As I said, I logged the problem with MS Connect (781852) and they immediately closed it as "non-reproducible". I did manage to find an earlier post on Connect describing the same issue (776466), which had been closed as "won't fix", whatever that means. After providing further info, they re-opened my case, but have provided no further updates. So now I bring it to the most helpful community I know - your readers have provided many excellent hints and suggestions that I have used in my work over the years - I subscribed to Fred's LangaList since way before he decided to ride his motorcycle off into the sunset, and was extremely happy when he again parked it at Window Secrets (Whatever happened to Brian?). Anyone here have any ideas or suggestions, or a similarly "Nerdy" setup where they can test the issue? Any suggestions for further troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance - any and all comments or suggestions are welcome.

John Brown
    Halifax, NS
    Last edited by pcmechanic; 2013-04-08 at 13:43. Reason: clarify

Thanks
    Have you run sfc /scannow?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure what that would show... When I use Windows Update to install IE10 I would assume valid files are installed, and when I uninstall IE10 I don't have the problem. I have repeated this several times, and the problem only shows up under IE10. Plus I have reproduced the symptom on 3 different machines, all up to date, and none showing any other problems. In any case, sfc just run (with IE10 currently installed) shows no integrity violations.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried disabling MSE while you download?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    As I mentioned, if I disable MSE "real-time" protection, the download does in fact complete properly. I'm running exactly the same version of MSE with both IE9 and IE10, but it only happens under IE10. Even with MSE enabled, simply waiting a few minutes for the background download to complete will also allow it to complete successfully.

Administrator
    Thanks
    So it's something between IE and MSE, even if IE is not affected in previous versions...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Correct. At least partially...
    Without disabling MSE, I can also work around the issue by merely waiting for the download to complete in the background. Either seems to work, that's why I suspect timing may be an issue - MSE may be interfering, and not clicking on "save" may be just letting it go on its own.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It's hard to suggest something, other than replacing MSE. I don't use IE 10 much (also using 7 x64) and it doesn't happen with my AV (emsisoft antimalware).

Of course, you have done what you should, by reporting the bug, even if MS didn't seem to take you very seriously (I have a similar experience with other IE issues). IE 10 should be a better browser (more standards compliant, faster, etc), so the weak link can be MSE... I have stopped using MSE, some time ago, too, it has average detection rate and not too light on resources.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    I must admit, I'm not really expecting a resolution - I posted primarily to advertise the "Bug". I expect we will have to wait until Microsoft gets around to fixing it - once they admit it's there.

Most viruses install when people click "OK", the installed AV has little effect. I've removed viruses from machines running ALL of the popular AV programs, MSE is as good as any, none is any good against a user who just clicks "OK".

jb

Lounger
    Thanks
    I may have missed a point, ruirib... When you said that the problem did not happen with emsisoft antimalware, had you in fact tested saving to a network share repeatedly with no problems? If so, that would also seem to point the finger at MSE. Also, since I'm not very familiar with emsisoft, does that have an antivirus "real-time protection" module? If not, then it's not too likely to interfere and therefore the lack of symptoms would not be so meaningful. Please let me know more about your testing methodology. Thanks again for your interest and response.

JohnBrown

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, I hadn't saved to an internet share, but I created one and did the test. The files were saved without any issues.

EM is an overall antimalware solution, with real time protection and several levels (behavior blocker, file guard - also surf protection, but that one is not relevant to this situation and I don't use it anyway), so it does monitor downloads. IE downloads a file and then scans it and all went well, no issues, downloads completed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4