Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010 - Stop Automatic Date Fields from Updating

I'm hoping someone can help me. We get a lot of documents sent to our office from clients where we then have to print those documents and organize them on their files. Unfortunately, we get a lot of letters and memos sent to us that have the automatic updating date field in them. We need to print these documents with the original date they were sent, not the date that we open them to print. I have tried turning off the Update Automatic Links at Open and the Update Fields before printing boxes, but it still changes the dates on these documents. Undo doesn't do anything either.

Is there any way to open the documents with these automatic updating date fields with the original dates or alternatively, a way to find out what the date was before the document was opened so we can manually type it in? Any macros or tricks that anyone knows of?

Thanks so much.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't know of a way to stop the field updating without opening the file first (which updates them). The only suggestion I have is to modify the field type to SaveDate instead of Date. This will work as long as you don't actually Save the doc.

It might be easiest to create a macro to do this for you but it will need it to search all stories to get them in the header and footer as well.

If you could convince the senders to prepare the files with SaveDate instead then you would avoid all those problems.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    I don't know of a way to stop the field updating without opening the file first (which updates them). The only suggestion I have is to modify the field type to SaveDate instead of Date. This will work as long as you don't actually Save the doc.
    If, after changing the date field to a savedate field you lock the field (by selecting the field and pressing Shift-F11) or convert it to plain text (by selecting the field and pressing Ctrl-Shift-F9), you can re-save the document.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another alternative is to open the documents and enter the CreateDate. Providing they have not reused the same document repeatedly and have opened it anew from a template, the createdate should show the date they created it (unsurprisingly since that's what it means).

Yet another possibility to is to select the document in File Explorer with the Preview Pane enabled and you should see a copy of the unopened document in the Preview Pane with the date as originally entered. However, the Preview often fails to work properly!

Thanks
    Unfortunately, as the receiver of these docs, you're stuck. The create date or the last save date are not necessarily the date the memo or letter or whatever was finalized and sent out by your clients. Unless your clients maintain logs (or have photocopies), they themselves don't have an accurate record, either.

In the Word world, Terfar's suggestion is the only one that I've had any luck with. I have Win 7 and Word 2010 and the Preview Pane in Explorer has been working admirably for at least a couple of months now. I think the fix actually came to pass. Or maybe I've just been lucky.

Can you ask your clients to create a PDF of the documents as they print them? They could send you a PDF instead of a .docx. Or, can you ask them to send a photocopy and you scan them to PDF?

Best,
    Kim

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all so much for your help. Unfortunately, in an office this size, I have no control over how the client's send their documents or how they create their documents for that matter. I found that most of them are not very computer literate and so getting digital documents from them in the first place is sometimes an issue. These particular documents were sent via e-mail and for some reason had some VBA coding in them. We locked down Word so that any documents containing macros would only open to be viewed in Protected Mode. The user would then have to move the documents from their e-mail to a "trusted folder" in order to be able to open and edit the document. Unfortunately that changed the modified date in Windows.

I like the tip about using the Windows preview...that worked awesome! Once we had the date, we could go into the document and change the field to a static date so we could then process the documents. I also found that if I opened the document in WordPad and searched for the word "date", it would find the date code and the original date of the letter would be beside it. That worked as well.

Thanks again for the tips!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to maverik For This Useful Post:

PamCaswell (2013-04-13)