Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Any validity to rumor that Windows 8 is dead?

Hi,

I have recently read some articles proclaiming that Windows 8 is dead. I just installed Windows 8 on my laptop and I like it. So, any thoughts about the future of Windows 8 from this forum would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

moon

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's not dead but it's not selling well, it's lagging Vista. I doubt it's going to make much of an impact on businesses many of which are in the process of changing to Windows 7.
    Joe

Thanks
    I hope not! I've not long since bought it!

Any chance of links to the articles?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will try to find the link and post it here.

moon

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There is this one but it's about 5 and a half weeks old so time for an update.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Windows 8 is not dead. No one really knows the actual numbers, but it will still sell in the hundreds of millions. It won't be the success Microsoft wanted it to be, but they will make it evolve and will do whatever it can to make it more accepted in the market.

There is wild speculation in the press. Some are already predicting the doom of Microsoft, but then, if you look at the numbers, probably they are telling you not quite the same story. Here is an example: http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-googl...17-7000013637/
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    No Moon, Win 8 is not dead! The economy both in the US and around the world seems to be picking up. This bodes well for PC sales. As people have more discretionary money, the PC they held onto the last couple years suddenly looks obsolete. Now they have the extra dollars to replace it. Guess what the new PCs are pre-installed with? Win 8!

Don't believe all the wild predictions of MS and Windows demise.

Now if you said is the era of the large desktop PC drawing to a close, then that prediction might be closer to the mark. It seems the market for these large PCs is shrinking. If you walk through any large reseller, you will find MANY tablets and ultra light laptops, and very few large desktops. Most of these desktops are coming from online sales and smaller custom made resellers. The big resellers just know they will not sell many of these large devices.

I can foresee our conversion to tablets as well, although it will be a while yet. I'm still not sure about the screen size with older eyes. Perhaps the ultra light will be better for us. For now I have other priorities to spend my discretionary funds on.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I think history shows us that companies and nation-states start small, rise to whatever height, then eventually fade partially or completely. Compare the progress of a super-nova, or of IBM (just as an example).

There is no obvious reason why Microsoft should buck this trend, but it's unlikely that Windows 8 will be the catalyst for its downfall, and so it will probably be around for many years yet. IMHO, of course!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, it's not dead, and this is coming from an experienced user who has rejected 8 soundly. I don't even know how well it compares to other devices in their appropriate touch category, could be the best for all I know. It's purely that the "ingredients" are so inappropriately presented in a large screen desktop environment. There the Start screen interface is barely a Beta product that doesn't even come within ICBM range of the desktop interface so Win 8 is left exposed to all sorts of attacks, legitimate and emotional.

So that begs the question, why lead with the Beta product? Advertising for the market MS is desperate to get into of course. Well, I for one am not willing to participate in what seems will be years-long active Beta development. Had the Start screen shown up at the back door, subservient, and not like Cousin Eddie at the front door with the rattletrap RV, beer in hand and plate in his head (don't go near the microwave when its running!!), it would have been a MUCH more interesting OS and MUCH MUCH less controversial. Microsoft figures they can get away with the Cousin Eddie approach though because they own the home and business desktop market.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PCs don't become obsolete nearly as fast as in the past. 10 years ago improvements in hardware were coming much faster. You bought a PC then and in a year or 2 it was a dog. Developments with chips,ram and HDs have become less noticable to average user. If you bought a top tier PC 4 or 5 years ago with the best chipset and plenty of ram it's still a very good PC for many people. The Gamers and Power Users always want the latest. Windows 8 is not going to go over well in the business environvent. Here most of the hospitals, Drs and other big companies are now in the process of changing from XP to Windows 7. They ccertainly don't want to retrain hundreds of people many who only use the computer at work.
    Joe

Thanks
    Windows 8 is not dead. Even Vista is not dead, although most people considered it a dog.

It would be totally inconceivable for Microsoft to pull the plug on Windows 8 anytime in the forseeable future.

Maybe in the year 2023 it will be dead. In other words, it will get at least 10 years of support from Microsoft.

Thanks
    It certainly isn't thriving. "PC sales plunge as Windows 8 flops".
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No Win8 isn't dead but for me it may as well be.
    I just don't use pc's that way - I don't touch my screen. (I can't even reach it without difficulty)
    For those who use tablets & thte like I'm sure it's great, but for me, No Way.
    Hence the article today:-
    PC sales see worst drop ever in January-March quarter
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aust...-1226617854295
    "MICROSOFT'S Windows 8 operating systems and new form factors such as ultrabooks not only have failed to lift the lift the PC markets, they've presided over a massive decline.
    Worldwide sales of personal computers slid 13.9 per cent in the first quarter of 2013, research firm IDC said.
    IDC said global PC shipments totaled 76.3 million units in the first quarter, the fourth consecutive quarter of year-on-year declines. The group said sales were down "significantly across all regions" of the world."

I'll stick with 64bit Win7 Pro for the next couple of years anyway.

Thanks
    No doubt that during these hard times the sales of Fosters still continues

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just happened to run across this artical at ZDNet a few minutes ago and was going to start a thread such as yours but you beat me to it. lol

Personally, I think it's the smartphones that are killing Windows sales, but Win8 didn't help matters much for sure. Win7, arguable, is the best OS that Microsoft ever created; too bad they believe in periodically killing a good OS and replace it with a bad one in order to hopefully release a better version later.

http://www.zdnet.com/idc-global-pc-s...on-7000013839/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast