Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Adding data to documents in W7

I have bought a new computer with W7pro 64 bit. I want to install data from cd that I burned from XPpro. I thought I could save data and put it on the new computer that way. This transitioning from XP to W7 is a nightmare compared to the transition I made from W982nd edition to XP.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question, but it seems that all you need to do is copy the data from the CD to the hard drive on your new computer, then access it from whichever programs are appropriate.

You will, of course, need to have the appropriate programs installed on your new computer.

For example, if the data is Word documents, you'll need to have Microsoft Word (or perhaps Libre Office) installed on your new computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that's what I'm trying to do but don't know how. Some of the content on the cd is manuals for different devices such as my car and my cell phone 3etc. They were saved in my documents (on XPPro) from the internet and then burned onto a CD. I have burn aware free installed on my pc, but I don't know which part to click on. I just want the info on my computer, not to copy on a new cd. I am wondering if the trouble might be due to the disc being a CD when I may need the data on a DVD instead. Thanks for your help. miflsr

Thanks
    Miflsr,

Do the following:
    Click on the Folder icon on the taskbar
    Hold down the Windows Key and press the right arrow key.
    Hold down the Shift key and click the Folder icon again {this will open a 2nd explorer window}.
    Hold the Windows Key and press the Left arrow key.
    You should now be looking at two Explorer windows each taking up 1/2 of your screen.
    On the Left window double click on your CD drive so its contents show in the right pane.
    Click in the right pane and press Ctrl+A {this will select everything on the CD}.
    Click and Hold on the highlighted area and drag it to the Documents folder on the right pane of the left hand window.
    Release the mouse button {it should now copy the contents to your documents folder.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you having difficulties copying the data from the CD to the hard drive of the new system or are you more having difficulties finding the correct place to put the data on the new system?

You don't need any burning or CD/DVD software once the discs are made, you should be able to just open the contents of the CD drive in a Windows explorer window and see the files. If nothing is showing up in the explorer window when you explore the CD then there may have been a problem with the burning process and the files are missing or damaged.

We need to know exactly where in the process you cannot proceed and why (i.e., can't see data on the CD, data won't copy from the CD, can't place the data in the same folders as were on XP, etc.)

Thanks
    I believe that this is a lot simpler than you think it is.

The CD simply stores the info. You can either read it from the CD, or you can copy it to the hard drive and then read it from the hard drive. I recommend that you copy it to the hard drive, and then read it from there, for two reasons:
    * The CD will act as a backup copy, in case it accidentally gets deleted from your hard drive.
    * The less you access the CD, the less likely it is that the CD will get damaged.

It is likely that all you need to do is the following:
    * Click the "Orb" (the start button) in the lower left of the screen, then click on "Computer" in the menu which appears above the Orb. This will open up a Windows Explorer window.
    * On the left side of the window, under Libraries, click Documents. This will open up the Documents folder.
    * At the top of the window, look for the "New Folder" link. Click on it. Windows will create a new folder called "New Folder", and will give you the opportunity to name it something. Give it a useful name, such as "CD Contents". Hit ENTER.

Now you need to open a window to show the contents of the CD. You can do one CD at a time. For each CD, you will create a new folder under "CD Contents" and give it a useful name which describes what is on the CD. In that way, it will be extremely easy for you to find your data, once it is copied to the hard drive.

By the way, here are a couple of rules for the names you will use:
    * If you want to put a date as part of the name, use hyphens (-) or underscores (_) to separate the year, month, and date. Don't use slashes (\ or /), because they are not allowed.
    * Don't put quotes in the name. I use quotes in my examples for clarity, but you can't use them as part of a name in Windows.

If a CD contains family pictures from the trip you took to New York on 7/4/2011, you can create a folder called "New York Trip 2011-07-04".
    After doing that:
    * Double click on the "CD Contents" folder, to make it the active folder.
    * Click "New Folder", and create a new folder.
    * Put the CD in the drive. You will be given the opportunity to open Windows Explorer to see the contents of the CD. Do that.
    * When the Windows Explorer window opens, look for the CD in the left side of the window. Right-click on it, and choose Copy.
    * Now scroll through the list to find the "CD Contents" folder you created (under Libraries). Double click on it.
    * Look for this CD's folder ("New York Trip 2011-07-04"). Right-click on it, and choose "Paste".
    All of the contents of the CD will now be copied to the "New York Trip 2011-07-04" folder.
    When the copy has finished, remove the CD and close the window.

Repeat the above for each CD that you have.

To access the data, you will simply open up the folder where the data is (see above steps), and double click on the item. In all likelihood, the item will open with the appropriate program.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, this is where we need the "trusted TeamViewer techs" Windows Secrets forum subgroup squad to sort the problem in far less time than it takes to write about it. The TTVTWSFSS to the rescue.

Thanks
    I nominate FUN to be president of the TTVTWSFSS!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Folks, thanks so much for your help.I sense some disdain for the fact that Mr. Phelps gave me an abc, 123 tutorial, but that is what I needed and I do thank him and all of you for your help. My sign in stands for Michigan Florida Senior. I am 77 years old and learning new things takes me longer than it does youngsters (anybody under 70 I have been trying to get these learning sessions sandwiched in between thunderstorms during which I shut down and unplug. That is why I am so slow with the thanks. I will let you know how I come out. This W7 might be better but they could have stuck with XP forever and I would be just as happy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miflsr View Post
    Folks, thanks so much for your help.I sense some disdain for the fact that Mr. Phelps gave me an abc, 123 tutorial, but that is what I needed and I do thank him and all of you for your help. My sign in stands for Michigan Florida Senior. I am 77 years old and learning new things takes me longer than it does youngsters (anybody under 70 I have been trying to get these learning sessions sandwiched in between thunderstorms during which I shut down and unplug. That is why I am so slow with the thanks. I will let you know how I come out. This W7 might be better but they could have stuck with XP forever and I would be just as happy.
    miflsr: Don't worry about the tone of what anyone said. That's just geek humor. I didn't take anything personal.

I can tell you from my observations over the months that everyone who replied to your post wanted to help you get the job done. These same people are continually taking their time helping people on these forums.

Anytime you have a question, please feel free to ask. We're all very glad to help you. And we've all been there; we all know how frustrating it can be in the beginning.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again all. When I get to the step of clicking on "new Folder", nothing shows up, no place to type a title or anything that I can see. I did manage to get the contents of the CD into my documents, individually, because I was not able to make a special folder for them. Still I would like to get them in their own folder before I have documents full of all matter of information. I can see that I may soon have a problem with what program to open certain things. Wow. I'm tearing out my hair. Also I suspect Internet Explorer is needed for what I am doing and when I try to temporarily switch from Google Chrome I get locked up and have to shut down. So much to learn, so little time, as I may croak before I get it all. Thanks again

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    True, that won't be an issue with Windows 7 though because of the technique it uses for renaming wherein the extension is not included.

Thanks
    The data folders in Win 7 are located in C, Users, "User Name", You will see Favorites, Pictures, My Documents, etc.

Create any new folders you wish to have in these areas then drag your data from the open Windows Explorer window (of the CD) to the folders you see here.

The biggest problem people have when moving from XP to Win 7 is the different file structure.

The libraries you will see are simply pointers to the actual data folders. These allow someone to point to data folders from all over a person's PC to one location for ease of access to that data. You can read about the libraries on-line. Simply enter a Google or Bing search for Libraries in Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, we just have no idea what your experience level might be so we don't know exactly what level of feedback you may need to solve a problem. Some folks get upset with us in the other direction and usually start their next post with, "I know all that, let my try to put this another way for you [simpletons] to understand." There are very effective programs that can be used by technicians to "take over" your PC and allow them to diagnose and/or show you what to do or what is wrong. As they say, a picture of what is actually going on is worth a thousand words. Unfortunately the same process that can be used for solving these problems can also be used by bad guys that want to put malware on your PC or lock up your PC and hold it ransom until you send them money to release it.

If you are in the Documents folder of your PC and you click New Folder and nothing happens, try refreshing the window, sometimes it will not pop up right away but will when you refresh. Then you can right click on that New Folder and rename it to exactly what you want. Don't try to click on New Folder when looking at the CD contents because that folder is read only, no new folders can be created on the CD.

You don't need I.E. or Chrome for any of these operations, except to communicate with us here of course, so I don't know what the lock up problem you are having there is related to.

Its also quite possible that you may not have the proper programs on the new computer to open some of your documents. For instance if some of your manuals are in .PDF format, you may need to get a PDF reading program from the Internet and install that. I use Foxit PDF reader that can be safely downloaded here.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    OH, just thought of another important thing you should do if you are not seeing the the extensions on the end of your filenames. Go to Control Panel>>Folder Options>>Veiw and find and uncheck the box that says Hide extensions for known file types. None of us want that box checked, you need to see the extension to know what type of file you have. So if .PDF is one of the filetypes, you will see which ones they are and learn what program is needed for that type of file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast