Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    None of us want that box checked.
    I actually have found one benefit of not showing the extensions. During the course of my day, I rename a good number of files of different types. When the extension doesn't show, it's really easy to rename the file. When the extension does show, however, it's more of a chore, because I have to highlight the part before the dot and the extension before typing in the new name.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    True, that won't be an issue with Windows 7 though because of the technique it uses for renaming wherein the extension is not included.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FUN, Don't worry that I would get irritated if you happened to explain something I already knew (not likely). All information is welcome and I will try all ideas. I hope I have not pitched a curve and maybe not gave information I should have. My system is W7Pro 64 bit. I chose Pro because it was my understanding you had to have it if you wanted a tech helper to remotely work on your pc. I am, however, reluctant, for the negative reasons you mention. I know in time I will stumble on the proper method for the things I want to do, with the help of all the gracious people who give their tips. It is difficult to impart my level of ability when I am so darn dumb about this system. I believe with XPPro I had accomplished quite a lot. Able to burn CDs, save internet info into my documents, transfer pictures from my digital camera to the pc with a portable card reader or a wire directly to the camera. One thing I never did get the hang of was learning about what you need to "open" certain files. I never bothered to learn because a lot of them were sent in email and I figured I may be asking for viruses if I went messing around, anyway. I will keep hanging in there and appreciate that you have, also.
    Last edited by miflsr; 2013-04-10 at 17:56. Reason: correct spelling

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bad news for me. I have discovered that dozens of people are having this same problem. I have evidently bought a dud. I have boot discs to upgrade my XP computer to 7 and I'm so glad I didn't and bought a new computer. It seems we were warned by Kim Komando years ago about 64 bit being troublesome and then I bought one anyway. Dang. If I have to uninstall this and try to reinstall I will not know anything about anything. Maybe I should wipe it and send it back to Tiger Direct.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-9b76a083edb4/

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Senior,
    Hold in there; that course is an overreaction. W64 works fine, unless you have a peripheral device without 64- bit drivers. You could see if TeraCopy (you should look it up) helps you copy (not burn) your files.

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for the encouragement, Zig. I will keep trying. I sense there is some conflict with certain things I am using, such as Chrome rather than IE. Hopefully I can learn to make new folders so that I can get new material and add old into my documents and have them categorized sensibly.
    As to peripherals I was prepared to buy a new printer but old faithful took off just fine. (HP5505 All in one)

Thanks
    miflsr: I believe that things are not nearly as bad as you think. The problem is that this is all new to you. It takes a little time to get comfortable and familiar with it.

As Zig said, unless you have an old printer or device (such as an old Palm Pilot), 64-bit Windows 7 should be fine. 64-bit is the direction that everything is moving in, so you made a good choice.

Windows 7 "Pro" is fine. It gives you some extra functionality that you'll probably never need, but that's no big deal.

As far as a tech remotely working on your PC, that shouldn't be a problem if you know who you are dealing with. A good rule of thumb here is, if they call you, and want to take control of your PC, you probably can't trust them. However, if you call a reputable company and in the course of the call they offer to take over the PC, then you're probably fine.

One other thing: Make sure that you have up-to-date antivirus software on your computer. A good, and free, product is Microsoft Security Essentials. Although it's not the very best, it is a good program, and best of all, it's extremely easy to set up and use. You can download it by clicking on the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...tials-download

Also, I would suggest that you read through the various postings on the Windows Secrets forums. You will begin to learn some interesting and informative things about your computer and being on-line.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Adding data to documents in W7

Again, thanks. since nothing happens when I click on 'new folder' and I do not know what to expect since the system is new, could you please tell me what you see when you click on it.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Senior,

(You'd better be careful nobody mistakes your handle for MILFsr) Exactly how are you clicking on New Folder??? Are you right-clicking, getting a menu, then following "new" to "folder"?? Or are you left-clicking on a folder named "New Folder"??

Zig

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is my explorer window, just before I click on New Folder and then just after; the New Folder is highlighted automatically so I can rename it right away just by typing and press enter when finished.

justbefore.jpgjustafter.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks
    4Star-believe me it has ALL been said to me, rearranged and whatever.
    I am clicking on the 'New Folder' name. when I do a line appears around it, not highlighted as in Fun's pic. Then absolutely nothing happens. I have single left clicked, double left clicked, right clicked, waited (as some folks said in the forum link I posted that it is very slow.) I am getting vibes that something should be enabled that is not, or that there may be a conflict between Chrome and IE. I am aware that viruses can throw everything off whack. When I first set this thing up, it came with Norton on it. I made sure it was enabled before I plugged in the ether wire. But it soon became apparent that that there were many updates that needed to be loaded so I did that. In the meantime. I had installed Spybot and Malwarebytes and ran them. They discovered bots which I removed. I have installed CCleaner, ran it. I believe the thing is virus free now. I run Spybot weekly, also Malwarebytes, I have Norton on here, which I intend to get rid of soon and go to Avast or maybe Kaspersky.
    I am getting vibes that something needs to be enabled or installed, that is not. Perhaps Norton won't let me do what I want to. I have switched default Chrome to Internet Explorer thinking there was a conflict there. No change. thanks both of you for hanging in there with my 'case'.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    An alternate method you should try is go to any of your document folders on you PC and where you see the New Folder waiting to be renamed in my picture, right click on any part of the empty space in that window and in the context menu that pops up there will be a New > item and when you pause the cursor on New >, another list will pop out and at the top of that list will be Folder. Click on Folder there and see if that works. Refresh one time if nothing appears (its in the same right click menu that New > is in). Stil nothing? Then something is almost certainly wrong.

What you might try is go to Control Panel>>User accounts>>Manage another account, and create a new account with Admin privileges. Then log out of your current user account and log into the new account, wait for things to set up and then see if you can create new folders in a explorer window there. If so then you'll know its something about your other account that is not working. If not then Windows is not working as it should and you may need to get hands on technical help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update on my difficulties with making a new document in Win 7 pro 64bit. I had to take the computer to a tech guy and I chose the $90. route of wiping the computer back to original state before mess-up. That evidently removed the Win32downloader.gen trojan/virus whatever. I can now create a new folder, but still have a problem. When I want to save something like a letter in gmail, for instance, all that appears in documents is every little bit of info it takes for them to save it for me, but not the letter itself. Grrrr. I hate this Windows 7. I will need equivalent to a college education to ever understand it. I had ordered the Windows 7 Guide and it was sent to my XP computer. I actually printed every word of the 3 volumes but it is hard for me to read the small print that I would be able to magnify easily online. Anyway I do not know if the info is in there. It seems my questions usually relate to something so elementary that they are not addressed. Would my problem of not being able to save gmail email in documents be related to a Google program vs a microsoft facility such as documents? TIA EV

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If it's just an occasional email and you want to save the contents to a file, the easiest and best bet is probably to highlight the letter contents and copy it and then paste it into any word processing program or even just in Wordpad (Accessories>Wordpad), format it a little if needed and then save that with an appropriate name in your documents, like Jeanie letter from May 7 2013.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I'll try that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12