New Lounger
    Thanks

CD burners and blank CDs go bad?

Kind of general question: I was trying to burn some photos onto a blank CD, using Roxio which has always worked before. I kept getting a message that I had the wrong kind of media, although I was using the same blank imation brand CDs I have previously used from the same batch. After several tries, and changing the settings to finalize the CD, it did burn the photos onto the CD. But the CD burner drive cannot see the photos. I put the burned CD into another CD reader drive (not a burner) and it sees them. I tried putting it into an identical CD burner on another machine and it cannot see the photos either, but the CD (non-burner) on that machine can see them. What is going on? Since neither CD burner can see the photos, but both the other CD drives can, it seems unlikely that it's the hardware? The other part of the question is: can it somehow be the blank CDs I'm using? They are off a spindle of 100 that I have had for probably 5 - 7 years (I bought 2!) Both my machines are Dells with XP Pro SP3. Both are a little over 9 years old. Time to replace? Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks
    Try replacing or reseating your CD drive's data cable. If that doesn't fix it, then I'd say you have a bad CD drive.

Thanks
    Hi valueguy

You must use a dvd for photos as a cd's format is designed for audio only.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi valueguy

You must use a dvd for photos as a cd's format is designed for audio only.
    That's incorrect I'm afraid.

You can burn anything you like to a CD in data format.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    That's incorrect I'm afraid.

You can burn anything you like to a CD in data format.
    I am only going by my experience. It would be nice to know how you burned photos to a cd and what you used other than a computer to view them.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    If you store them as files, you can store them on a CD or a DVD. And if you have the appropriate software on the computer, you can read and play them.

The issue with CD vs DVD in this context is that a DVD has a lot more storage space.

Thanks
    I am only going by my experience. It would be nice to know how you burned photos to a cd and what you used other than a computer to view them.
    Any burning software you care to mention (including Windows drag and drop) and any modern DVD/Bluray player.

Thanks
    I've also burned photos to a cd and played them on a dvd player connected to my TV.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    CD and DVD are written to using digital data, only. Analog data can not be written to them from your pc - it does not use analog data. It can take in analog data via some appendage such as a data analog to digital converter. the data can be anything you wish to put on them. Music is in digital format, pics are in digital format. IF you choose to make a music cd to play in your car player for example, it must be written in a strict format for it to play in your car cd player. If you have an MP3 enabled cd player in your car it will read both music format cd and data cd's having mp3 file written to the cd. If you have a picture reader as part of your car's video player, it will read the cd picture files such as JPG and TIFF just fine. it is all digital 1's and 0's, only the format of the file, the format it is written in and their suffixes may be different.

In your case you might try cleaning the burning laser lens and/or the reader lens if it has a separate laser for reading. Additionally, if that does not do the trick, your calibration from read to write is off and that is not repairable.
    Last edited by mpioso; 2013-05-03 at 02:19.