New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel pop-up filter

I recently received a spreadsheet from Europe that had certain columns in which clicking on any cell in that column caused the drop down control to appear to the right of the cell (looks similar to the "auto-filter"). A list was displayed who's contents came from a range of cells in a different column. You could enter any item from the list into the cell by selecting it. I have always wanted to do exacly this but did not think it was possible. Does anyone know how is this done? I've gone through the help file at length but to no avail!

ruaridh_o'likely

Re: Excel pop-up filter

Hi Jason,
    I think what you're after is the data validation feature (Data-Validation...on the menu) - you need to set Allow to List and have In-cell dropdown checked.
    HTH.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yesss! that is "it" exactly. Thanks ruaridth_o'likely. I feel a little humble, especially as I have used data validation before, but never in that way.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Ruaridh,

I never realised you could do that! Thanks for the tip.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

ruaridh_o'likely

always glad to add my few drops to the pool of knowledge[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

And you can use the Data >> Validation tools in a different way too. Suppose you have a data set and want to check if the data in a column (or range of cells) belongs to a list (or is between a predefined minimum and maximum), then select that column, and set the validation rules via Data >> Validation.
    Then choose Tools >> Auditing to make the Auditing toolbar visible and click the circle invalid data button. All mistyped or erroneous cells will be marked with a red circle. Very handy to validate your data after entry.

cwoodybutler

Just to verify - there's no way to use the Data Validation functions with the data validation "list" on a separate worksheet within the same workbook?

--woody

C. Woody Butler
    cwbutler@cebec.com

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Define the list as a named range and then refer to the name in the Data Validation List box (I'm doing this in Excel8 - I would assume it would be in Excel9).

cwoodybutler

Check it out - it worked!!! Gee, I'm gonna look like a genius to my users! [img]/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif[/img]

Now that I know how it works, I can see it DOES actually say that in the help [img]/w3timages/icons/spook.gif[/img]...

Thanks a bunch -

--woody

cwoodybutler

no, I was wrong - it still doesn't work cross-worksheet.

ARGH!! [img]/w3timages/icons/dragon.gif[/img]

--woody

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It works 'cross-sheet'. I have a large workbook that has a "Input Parameters" worksheet where I have the users enter certain choices in defined ranges. In several other worksheets, I've used Data Validation to limit choices and present a pull-down for cells that are based on these 'Input Parameters'. The data validation list on all of the sheets refers back to the named range on the "Input Parameters" worksheet. The syntax for the entry in the Data Validation 'List Box' is "=Defined_Name" (without the quotes) where Defined_Name is the range name given to the list area. This is a workbook level name in my case. If it is a worksheet level name it would look like =Sheet_Name!Defined_Name. You may need quotes for names with spaces. The easiest thing to do is to choose the list box and then go to the worksheet where your defined range is and use Insert Name Paste to insure you get the proper format.

cwoodybutler

arrrgh - somewhere in me playing with things I lost my equal sign in the formula.[img]/w3timages/icons/sick.gif[/img]

Yes - it works, I'm back to being a genius again! Thanks![img]/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif[/img]

--woody

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

My Curling scores now have a new feature for the score keeper! I love this lounge! Thanks for the tip!
    Christopher Baldrey