drphil

Outlook and Norton Email Scan Problem (Outlook 2000)

I have Windows 2000, SR-2, and MS Office Professional 2000. I use MS Outlook as my email program and have a DSL Connection through Qwest.net. I am also using Norton Antivirus 2000 with email scan activated.

A few weeks ago I noticed (all of a sudden), that when I was downloading my email from the qwest.net server, that it was taking a long time (like 10 minutes). On closer watching I noted that the mail downloaded quickly, but that the increased time was the "Checking for messages to clean up off the server" part. Well, the other day after contacting DSL support at qwest.net, I was told to "re-build" the email account and see if that helped. I did so, and lo and behold 849 messages downloaded from the server and the "checking for messages..." part only took seconds. These messages were from about the same time that I started noticing the slowdown. Then I remembered that I forgot to activate Norton Email Scan for this account, so I did so, and I re-produced the same slow down in the "check for messages..." portion. Now, I have to download the messages with email scan to make sure there are no viruses, and then RE-DOWNLOAD them to get them off the server.

Any suggestions on how to fix this so I don't have to download the same messages twice? Qwest told me that they do not support MS Outlook, but do support Outlook Express and Netscape. I don't want to go into Netscape land since I have much more MSIE experience and I used to use Outlook Express, but it does not have as much editing capability as MS Outlook.

I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

Thanks

Re: Outlook and Norton Email Scan Problem (Outlook 2000)

I use OL in Corporate Workgroup mode, so your dialog might differ slightly. The only reason to leave messages on the server is if you want to be able to access them again from a different client (e.g., Yahoo! mail, when you're in a cybercafe somewhere). As a compromise, or to have a short term backup, you can leave them on the server for a few days.

As for downloading another 2 times, I'm not sure it makes sense, if you scanned them the first time through, can't you just delete the ones that came in on the second pass? To clear off what's on the server without re-downloading at all, check out or <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/2576/magic.html>Magic Mail Monitor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

drphil

Thanks for your input. The problem is I DON'T want to leave them on the server. It is just happening without me doing any thing. And yes, I do delete them when they come in the 2nd time.

Mainly I was wondering if my Norton Email scan was somehow interfering with my OL settings which tell it to NOT leave messages on the server.

I did decrease the Time-Out limit to 1 minute as you suggest, that will help too.

Thanks!

Thanks

Sorry, I overlooked the possibility that this option is actually configured in Norton AntiVirus. Is there a setting that seems to relate to this in NAV's Email Protection options?

I ran a few searches in the and only one article seemed related (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs/2001071911003506>Outlook Express downloads all messages from a POP3 server when Norton AntiVirus email protection is enabled), but you probably could find more stuff, since you undoubtedly know more about how this software works.

drphil

Thank you! I did some searches also, but didn't really find the answer. I am thinking I may have to upgrade to Norton 2002 to get rid of the problem.

I use the configure option in Norton to activate and deactivate email scanning. Still having the same problem with the email scan leaving copies of the messages on the server.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

To my knowledge, Norton's has nothing to do with this problem. I have been using Norton's since early DOS days, including 2000, 2001 and 2002 none them them presented this problem for me or my wife. As far as I can find there is NO option in Norton's to control this. I am running 2002 at this time.

I would say that it is a problem with your e-mail server, I have not had one yet admit to having any problems, but shortly after I complain the problem goes away with not making any changes on my end. They (e-mail provider) may be having server issues and keep reloading their backup system.

You might select to save e-mail on server and then turn it off. Some times one needs to "Kick start" things that come from Microsoft.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

drphil

Very interesting point! When I called Qwest about the problem, they said they were not having problems, of course. They did send an "update" to my account on the server, which did not correct the problem.

I actually tend to agree with you about the server being the problem, at least to some extent, since I had not changed my settings in my email account or in my Norton for several months and this problem just all of a sudden surfaced.

I went into Tools/Accounts in my Outlook program and checked "leave a copy of messages on server", then clicked Apply, closed the windows, then went back in and "unchecked" the box. The problem seems to be solved by doing this...the long "checking for messages" delay is gone even with the Norton Email Scan on. I will see how it goes the next 24 hours.

Thanks!