New Lounger
    Thanks

Switch Users instead of Locked after 3 minutes

I want to set Windows 7 to go to the Switch User screen instead of just the user Locked screen. The screen saver timeout just locks the current user. I just want for the user to click their own icon to log back in without having to click "Switch User" on the lock screen first.

Does that make sense?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Smiley,

Welcome to the lounge as a new poster!

You should be able to accomplish this with a combination of the Shutdown.exe and Task Scheduler.
    Set the Task Scheduler Trigger tab to "On Idle"
    Set the Conditions tab to Start the Task only if the computer is idle for: 3 minutes.
    Set the Actions tab to run Shutdown.exe with "/l" {w/o quotes} in the Arguments box.

HTH

Update:
    Although this task will run properly on demand there is a problem as indicated in this MS Article:

Detecting the Idle State

In Windows 7, the Task Scheduler verifies that the computer is in an idle state every 15 minutes.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-04-09 at 15:56.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Smiley,

Ok, got it figured out. It took a little googling and a lot of trial and error but it does work with one minor quirk. See the attached PDF document for the step by step.
    Log user off when computer idle for x minutes.pdf
    Here's a synopsis:
    1. Set up the screen saver to trip at the desired number of minutes of inactivity.
    2. Use the Local Group Policy Editor {requires Win 7/8 Pro or better} to allow logging of Screen saver.
    3. Setup a task to monitor the screen saver event and run Shutdown.exe with the /l parameter.

The quirk is that the user doesn't actually get logged off until the screen saver exits! I don't know if this will meet your needs or not but it was fun figuring it out anyway. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! You are awesome. Unfortunately this PC is a home computer and is using Windows 7 Home Premium. Can GPE be added to a Home Premium version of Win7? I so appreciate the time it took you to sort this out and will keep this bookmarked for future.

The two users used to have their own computers, now they share one. I tried insisting on separate user accounts when we set them up but they insisted on simplicity. After a year of struggling with each others personal settings and constantly sending email as from the wrong address in Outlook, the final straw was iPhone sync with Outlook.

I separated the users into two accounts now but timing out to the two user screen would be so much better than just locking the single user, but I think they will actually get used to it clicking Switch User eventually.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Its cumbersome but see
    http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-g...rter-editions/

to add the Group Policy editor to Windows 7 Home.

Jerry

Thanks
    Jerry,

Thanks for the link it works like a charm. I've also managed to figure out a couple of other problems. First search for event 4802 which is invoking the Screen Saver. Note: the path through the Group Policy Editor is different in Win 7 and Win 8.

Here's updated instructions that are easier to follow and work better. I didn't know you could create a task from the Event Viewer!

Enjoy!
    Log user off when computer idle for x minutes.pdf

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You're welcome RG. happy to hear it worked for you.

Jerry