2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Defender Off

After reading Fred's post in last week's Windows Secrets Issue, I checked my Windows Defender and found that it was turned off. When I click on the spot to turn it on, nothing happens. It seems to me that I vaguely recalled that when you have MSE running, it shuts down Defender. Is that correct, and if not, how do I get Defender up and running?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Defender will turn off when it detects other security software is installed. Having multiple security scanners running will really slow down your computer.

Thanks
    MSE and Windows Defender are roughly equivalent products, except that MSE is a more complete product. You don't need both.

I would go with MSE, since it offers more protection.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    You didn't specify which version of windows you are using 7 or 8 and it makes a difference. Windows Defender is a different product in the two versions of the OS. In Windows 7 it is of very limited functionality. If you have 7 you should use MSE or some other AV product. In Windows 8 Windows Defender is really a combination of the old defender and MSE so running MSE on Windows 8 should not be done! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-04-10)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought I posted a response to this issue, but I don't see it listed, so I'll repeat. After re-reading Fred's article, I decided to download the external version of Windows Defender so I can run it when everything else is shut down. That way I don't need to know if the built-in version is on or off - although I still don't know why I can't turn it on. Thank you all for your comments.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lodidad1 View Post
    After re-reading Fred's article, I decided to download the external version of Windows Defender so I can run it when everything else is shut down. That way I don't need to know if the built-in version is on or off - although I still don't know why I can't turn it on.
    Fred's article said, "In fact, when MSE is installed, it disables Windows Defender."

Bruce

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

lodidad1 (2013-04-11)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bruce. After going back and re-reading (again) Fred's notes, I realized that what you have said is in essence what I was suggesting in Note #1, so it's too bad you didn't respond earlier. However, that might have sidetracked my decision to download the off-line version of Defender. So all's well.