5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Assessing Win8 File History and its weaknesses

LANGALIST PLUS

Assessing Win8 File History and its weaknesses

By Fred Langa

Windows 8's backup mechanism is unlike any included with previous Windows versions and that can lead to some initial confusion. Plus: Breaking out of a webpage redirect loop, avoiding a Hotmail phishing scam, and recovering a scrambled BitLocker drive.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/assessing-win8-file-history-and-its-weaknesses/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: The redirect loop in Chrome, I have also had this. In my case, it was a "secure site" enforcement extension called "KB SSL Enforcer". I'd installed it some time ago to try and
    ensure that I was always using an HTTPS page in preference to an HTTP one if one existed. Unfortunately, it often broke websites. In this case, the extension tried to get an HTTPS page, and the website (presumably) then directed it back to an HTTP site, so the extension... You get the picture.

Regards,
    Stuart

Thanks
    I've gotten Chrome Redirect Loop errors even on non-secure sites. Sometimes Chrome just gets caught in a loop, depending on how a page redirect is coded, it seems.
    -- Bob Primak --