Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

ThinkPad CDRW/DVD Combo

Am running a WIn2k ThinkPad and recently purchased an out-of-the-box external CDRW/DVD Combo drive. The drive appears as E: as it should, and I have the DVD s/w installed as I can see it under Programs. When I open the program the Play, Rewind, etc buttons appear *but* the window disappears after I click Play.

What looks like a movie screen ready to play just goes away and I'm 404 on how to get it to sing and dance.

Please advise.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ThinkPad CDRW/DVD Combo

It's a tricky thing - try to play DVD without DVD player.
    Get one first, install it, insert DVD in your drive and THEN push the "Play" button.

Thanks

Uh, I'm not sure we're communicating (?) I'm sorry if I've confused you, but I *do* have an external DVD drive that is in combination with a CD Writer. I also wrote that the buttons *do* appear (i.e., 'Play'); however, they disappear when the DVD starts.

Hope this helps you to help me solve the challenge.

Thanks!
    It's a tricky thing - try to play DVD without DVD player.
    Get one first, install it, insert DVD in your drive and THEN push the "Play" button.

ileacy

Try right clicking in the DVD Player Window. It should bring up a context menu which will include Play/Pause functions. It may also give you access to a setting to make the buttons visible again.

Depends on the DVD player, but, this has worked on mine.

Thanks

>Try right clicking in the DVD Player Window.
    = I wish I could... *that* is the window that disappears.

Thanks for trying!

ileacy

Sorry about that. Mis-read your earlier post.

Ok, sounds like your player may be crashing or minimizing on play. Suggest the following procedure to trouble shoot.

1)Use <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=free&Number=75356&page= &view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post75356>End it All</A> to get the minimum set of programs of running. Leave it running.

2)Insert your DVD to start the player. Click "Refresh" in End-it-All to check for the new program (the player).

3)Click Play in the player. Wait for the Window to disappear. Refresh End-it-All again.

4)If the player is still running, look for it in the system tray or task bar. It may have minimized. If the player is not running then it is crashing/exiting without an error. Try another player to see if that fixes the problem.

Which player are you using?

PS: Problems with DVD players can also be caused by Video Display Drivers and DirectX. Make sure you are running the latest versions of both.

ileacy

Followup on my last post. I just noticed you are running W2K. You could also use Task Manager to track the processes.

Thanks

>Sorry about that. Mis-read your earlier post.
    = You're forgiven... it's not a habit <g>

I'll give End-it-all a shot, but first I may need to give you more information:

>If the player is still running, look for it in the system tray or task bar. It may have minimized.
    = That doesn't happen. It just goes away.

> Try another player to see if that fixes the problem.
    = Not possible at this point. I'm using an IBM ThinkPad, running Win2k, and the IBM Portable Drive Bay 2000 with the CDRW/DVD Combo.

>Which player are you using?
    = Mediamatics DVD Express

>PS: Problems with DVD players can also be caused by Video Display Drivers and DirectX. Make sure you are running the latest versions of both.
    = Hmm... how?

Thanks for the new direction - there is still hope!

Thanks

Yeah, I jumped the gun, too :*-)

> Task Manager to track the processes
    = Still no go... it's as if it's not even there :-(
    Task Manager shows the player running, I click on Play, then it's bye-bye. Strange.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Followup on my post:
    The problem with Win2k built-in DVDplayer is that in most cases it can't recognize DVD drive and simply doesn't work. Upgrading DirectX (current version 8.1) and drivers does not help. The only solution - install third-party DVD player, for example, Ravisent CinePlayer DVD 4.0 ($49.95, http://www.ravisentdirect.com/dvd4/cpdvd.html ) or InterVideo WinDVD (Free Trial for 30 days, 8.2 MB download, http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVD_Download.jsp )
    FYI: Our company owned several ThinkPad T-22 notebooks configured by IBM with DVD-ROM and Win2k pre-installed; none of them has functioning Win2k DVDplayer.

ileacy

Well I tried out several DVD players under WinXP. At this point it looks like <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVD_Download.jsp>WinDVD</A> is the front runner.

The demo only gives you 5 minutes of playback, but, it lets you test the function.

ileacy

I use an ATI Radeon 64 DDR on the system with the DVD. ATI's DVD player needs Direct X 8+. At this time ATI has still not released it's DVD Player for XP so I multi-boot back to Win98 to watch a movie.

Bottomline, DVD integration can be tricky and all the right pieces need to be in place.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have the full version of WinDVD 2.3 and it works great on my Sony laptop running RTM version of Windows XP Pro.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

So you're saying that the factory-sent IBM player isn't the best player for their own ThinkPad?

Help me understand.

Thanks

>Bottomline, DVD integration can be tricky and all the right pieces need to be in place
    = Yes, but I would certainly be inclined to think that IBM would make their products to be (ahem) compatible with themselves <g>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast