New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 Update Headaches

Hi everyone -

First time poster here, looks like a great community!

My situation is this: I have a brand-new build that I wanted to install Windows 8 Pro. All of the hardware is new and (supposedly) Windows 8
    ready. I can install the OS, no problem. The very first thing I tried to do after the initialization was run Windows update.

There are several larger patches that simply won't install. One of them fails outright, throwing an error during the Windows Update process.
    The others (there are 7 total) try to install but upon restart, fail and have to revert back to the previous conversion.

There are lots of threads out there floating around that describe various problems with 3rd party services, drivers etc. I have none of that
    on this computer at the moment. Some of the patch numbers include KB2756872, KB2768703, KB2770917. I have a complete list but I forgot to bring it with me today.

I'm working with Microsoft L2 tech support but so far they haven't made much headway. Before contacting MS, I tried all of the usual things
    that are suggested in the various help threads on the MS Community website. These include stopping all firewall and anti-virus services,
    running windows update troubleshooting , installing the patches one by one (I've even tried installing the individual piece of the packaged
    updates with mixed success.)

Microsoft Tech Support has tried to repair my installation and that hasn't worked either. I'd really like to use W8 on this machine but if I can't update the software reliably, it is a bit of a deal breaker.

Help? Thanks in advance!

Ken

Super Moderator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce -

Good call, yes that was another troubleshooting step that I used. I have tried that a few times as well. I think I've done a pretty good job of ferreting out the
    various options via Google.

Ken

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's specific troubleshooting for the first patch number you mentioned: Troubleshoot issues installing KB2756872

The other two do seem to have had installation issues for a bunch of users.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, have been there, done that as well. I have installed KB2771431 successfully and it has no effect on the installation of KB2756872. It still fails even with
    1431 installed as a prerequisite.

As you noticed, there are a number of issues with W8 updates. I have never had issues with Windows 7 updates other than the occasional retry on a download.
    How this is so poorly executed by Microsoft with Windows 8 doesn't bode well. I really want to stick with Windows 8 on this machine but I may be forced to drop
    back to Windows 7.

Thanks,
    Ken

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you upgrade from Windows 7 to 8? I tried that several times but it wouldn't work. I've been glad in the long run that I was forced to resort to a clean/custom Windows 8 install.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a brand new build, clean and full install of Window 8 Pro. Not an upgrade. Yet another reason why it is so frustrating.