New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade to Windows 7

Want to transfer a "Disk image file,ISO" from my new computer to my old computer, so I can upgrade it to Win 7. Reason: Old PC has no DVD Drive, and Bios has no USB boot option feature using a Thumb Drive.? Thanks people for your help! Dayo

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have installed Windows 7 from a shared DVD drive over a local network. Worked perfectly by starting the installation from the working OS to be upgraded, not from cold boot though of course. For the life of me though I can't remember if I installed in the same partition as the working OS, creating a Windows.old file or if it was in a separate partition. For sure it works in the later case but the reason for trying to remember is if in the case of the former, the installation gets far enough along not to need the network shared connection because at some point it has to be removed along with the rest of the old OS and retired from active duty.
    If installing to a different drive or partition a virtual DVD drive (VirtualCloneDrive works well) wherein the ISO is mounted will work and I have even seen an example where the contents of a installation disc were copied to a portable hard drive and used to install from. Again, none of them from cold boot but by starting the installation from within the current running OS.

Thanks
    Hi Dayo,

If your pc is old, it might not be able to run Win7. http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/w...pgrade-advisor
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks George, Windows upgrade advisor suggests that it will. Worth a try, in the least, as any Scotsman would know " A penny saved is a penny earned", Cheer's Dayo

Thanks
    Hi Dayo,

Happy

Surfing.gif
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!