New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 VM failed; how to recover?

I'm running a Dell Optiplex 390 with Win 7 64-bit. The VM stopped working for reasons unknown, and it now takes several minutes to try to open. It displays the message: Could not enable integration features. When I continue, I get a DOS box with the message: A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. I've tried to use Tools to (Re)Install Integration Components but cannot do so. Clicking on Settings says that Integration Features are not available. Everything is checked but grayed out and cannot be altered. All I can do next is Hibernate or Turn Off or click Ctrl+Alt+Del to close the VM. I cannot get inside the VM. I had one program (worked in Win XP, 32-bit) in VM that was working just fine and that I still need to use. Any suggestions on how to recover?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you have a backup of your disk, including the virtual disk for the VM?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, the backup I would have had was overwritten by subsequent backups between failure and discovery of the VM failure.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am afraid that it may not be possible, then. You have no backups at all?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do a full backup daily, so I've got my daily backups using Sync-Back free. It doesn't archive earlier file versions. It just overwrites them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I see. Sorry, I don't see what else to suggest regarding your specific problem.

If you allow me, though, I would suggest that you look into imaging as a backup strategy. There are some free products (such as Macrium Reflect Free or Ease US Todo Backup), that allow you to create full disk backups and to restore the whole image or just isolated files. Coupling imaging with your Sync-Back file backup may be a good strategy. Say image once a week or once a month and then keep using Sync-Back as you do now. It could have solved your current issue .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems you are using Microsoft Virtual PC? You can try deleting any .vsv file in C:\users\<USERNAME>\appdata\microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines or wherever the file is located. I don't use Virtual PC so I'm just taking info from the Internet as to where it is.

To add a little to the strategy, if you use something like VMWare player instead of Virtual PC, all the VM files are contained in one folder and after installation and fine tuning to the point that you have exactly what you want in the VM, shut it down and simply copy the VM folder as a backup.
    So you would maintain three sorts of backups, day to day data with Syncback, periodic system imaging to recover the operating system in case of loss there and simple copy of the VM folder in case of corruption in the one in use.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I'm using Microsoft Virtual PC. Upon checking, I have no .vsv files on my computer. I do not recommend MS Virtual PC. It seems to be a delicate program that fails repeatedly. If I can't repair MS Virtual PC, then I'm going to try another virtual program. I still have that one Win XP (32-bit) program I need. As to imaging, I have Macrium and have an image from January. I'm reluctant to use it because of the updating I'll have to do to my data files. Yes, I think I need to do more frequent imaging.