2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit: Right Click Menus Missing

I have a Thinkpad T500 that has been running Windows 7 64 bit very successfully for the past few months.

Yesterday after rebooting the computer I couldn't:
    • Access any right click menus in any applications, the Start Orb or the Taskbar;
    • Left click on the mouse does not work in any application, although applications can be started from the Start Menu, eg I can open Internet Explorer but cannot select the address box to type in a web address, nor can I close EI by clicking to close button - I can close EI with ALT+F4.
    • Left clicking the Desktop brings up an errant menu, sometimes but not always
      Click & Hold a windows Title bar and moving the mouse to move the window does not work
    • In Windows Explorer, folders in the lfet pane cannot be opened nor files in the right pane selected

Nothing new has been installed since the system was working correctly.

I've:
    • Rune Microsoft Security Essential full scan - no problems detected
    • Run Windows Defender Offline full scan - no problems detected.
    • Tried a System Restore from a Restore point of a couple of days previous which should have been good - System Restore failed!
    • I've downloaded the latest version of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware but am unable to instal it because Windows Explorer will not respond to mouse clicks No point in trying other mal-ware solutions because I won't be able to instal them

Anyone got any clues as to how I can get my system working properly again without a complete re-instal of Windows and all my applications.

Getting desperate for a solution.

All suggestions appreciated

Thanks in anticipation for all assistance

Trevor

Thanks
    First of all, when you say mouse, are you referring to the inbuilt trackpad panel or an externally connected mouse?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your prompt response. I should have addressed that question in my original post.

It occurs with my Logitech Bluetooth Travel Mouse that I've been using for years. I've also tested with an external USB Mouse, same problems, just as I have with the Thinkpad's keyboard imbedded Track button and the left & right buttons immediately below the spacebar and above the Trackpad, again same problems.

I have the built-in Trackpad and its buttons turned off and cannot test it because I cannot turn it on - mouse clicks don't work within the mouse properties dialogue.

Thanks

Trevor

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried safe mode? Maybe you can use system restore successfully in safe mode. It may also be interesting to check if the problem persists in safe mode.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Have you tried using keyboard replacement commands when in the mouse properties dialogue?

The tab key will move you between active buttons/input boxes and the enter key will work the same as a left click on a mouse.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi R4,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes I had tried Safe Mode and Restore had failed. After you'd prompted it again I had another go and darn me but it worked. Don't know why my first couple of tries failed. Now my computer is working properly

Only trouble now is I don't know what caused the problem and how to prevent it raising its ugly self again.

Cheers

Trevor

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Browni,

Thanks for your prompt suggestion.

Yes, I'd tried keyboard commands but not all dialogues use them, either that or they didn't/wouldn't work

As I've noted in another post a System Restore appears to have corrected the problem. But that hasn't allowed me to identify the problem and so prevent it in future.

Cheers

Trevor

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BygAuldByrd View Post
    Hi R4,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes I had tried Safe Mode and Restore had failed. After you'd prompted it again I had another go and darn me but it worked. Don't know why my first couple of tries failed. Now my computer is working properly

Only trouble now is I don't know what caused the problem and how to prevent it raising its ugly self again.

Cheers

Trevor
    I am glad the restore solved it.
    Regarding the cause, I suppose you will just need to be very attentive to whatever you install and after any install, best to check to see if everything is working properly.
    Rui
    -------
    R4