4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error message when moving files: "File is locked by another process"

Hi, everyone. Ripped our CD collection to a hard drive. Ripping software (dbPoweramp) arranged everything in Artist name folders. Now I've created some Category folders and want to drag & drop the Artist folders into the Category folders (example: drag Rolling Stones folder and drop it into Rock & Pop folder). My file copy software is called Teracopy. I can drag and drop five or six artist folders with no problem then, suddenly, Teracopy gives me an error message "File is locked by another process". Then it's difficult to stop or cancel ... I click on Cancel or Retry or any other button and nothing happens. Finally, after several more seconds the Close button appears and I can close the little Teracopy window. After that I can move several more folders before the same error message occurs again.

What's going on here? How can I overcome this problem?

Thanks
    Is Windows Media Player (or any other software) attempting to update it's own internal music library?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Unlock IT is a great tool to use when you need to unlock a file, or just check whether there is another process locking it. It's free too.
    Once installed, just right click the file and choose check or unlock and you're good to go.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, did some more checking. Each time the error message appears it refers to one file in the folder that is locked or "File in use by another process". After checking this on several folders have noticed that it always seems to be "Thumbs.db" type file. Here's an example:
    L:\Music\Artist Name\Album Title\Thumbs.db
    Is this a thumbnail image file? A folder containing a music album lists all the songs plus a "Folder.jpg" file which is the album art. There's no thumbnail image listed. So, where are these thumbnails stored? Or, more important, why do I keep getting that error message and how can I overcome it ... other than using a separate program like Unlock IT every time the message happens?
    Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thumbs.db is indeed where Windows will store thumbnail images.

However, it is normally a hidden (and system?) file and would not be copied by default.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    However, it is normally a hidden (and system?) file and would not be copied by default.
    Not even when copying the folder which contains it?

Bruce

Thanks
    Hmmm,

Interesting point Bruce.

Would Windows need to regenerate the thumbs.db for a folder just moved/copied? It only contains thumbnails for the folder it exists in.

In any case, there should be no need to copy that particular file as Windows will recreate it as and when required.

I'm going to hazard a guess here in that the op is merging his albums into a different file structure with multiple folders going into one hence the problem with trying to overwrite an existing thumbs.db.

@op Have a look here to disable the creation/updating of the thumbs.db files

http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...em-windows.htm

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, that link helped me fix the problem. As shown in the article I turned off Thumbnails (show only icons not thumbnails) and then deleted the Windows 7 Thumbnail.db cache using Disc Cleanup. Went back to our MUSIC folder and began dragging album/artist folders into category folders ..... and ..... no error messages !
    I may turn Thumbnails back on after moving/merging all the folders, but for now everything's working great. Thanks to everyone here for their input and knowledge.

Thanks
    Excellent!

You shouldn't have any problems turning thumbnails back on unless you try to overwrite that file again!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Not even when copying the folder which contains it?

Bruce
    Absolutely right, Bruce. When copying a Folder instead of individual Files, TeraCopy will try to copy a number of normally hidden and sometimes locked files like the Thumbs file in this thread. Unlike Windows Copy/Paste, TeraCopy is not able by default to distinguish between these files and the ones I want to copy, so I have to be eternally vigilant and take the unwanted files out of the queue before running TeraCopy. This is just one of the ways in which TeraCopy does not fully emulate Windows Copy/Paste actions.

If TeraCopy can't copy a file, it usually just skips it and copies the rest of what's in the queue. Then at the end it will declare that there are errors and you can open another window which allows you to check and retry the problem files. Why TC simply hangs in this particular case, I don't know.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-04-18 at 15:00.
    -- Bob Primak --