2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

graphics pasted from Internet lost when printing (2000)

I've seen this several times now. I copy an article from the Internet into Word, paste in the pictures from the web page either in the same operation or separately, and all looks fine, but when I print the document, the pictures are missing.

I saw this at work on Word 97 too. It seems to be that the pictures have to be saved first, then inserted, rather than just pasted into a document. Is this new? I don't understand why if Word can display a picture from one day to the next, it won't print it.

I don't know if this is a question or a complaint.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: graphics pasted from Internet lost when printing (2000)

Wendy,
    Might it have something to do with Internet connections during the print operation? I am just guessing 'cause it seems like when you copy and paste from a Web page into Word it inserts a Hyperlink to the original location of the graphic on the Web. I have no idea why this might interfere with printing; in fact, on my computer such graphics print fine. Maybe if you remove the Hyperlink after pasting a picture, the print would behave better?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendy:

I think Dottie hit it on the head...and I'd call it a complaint. I've noticed that when I use Netscape (which only copies text) & copy/paste to Word, it pastes quickly. Of course, there are no graphics. If I use IE, some pages take up to 30 seconds to paste. If you disconnect from the Internet & try to print, it connects to the Internet. The same happens if you try to paste while disconnected.

Sometimes I get around this by selecting everything & pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink. Sometimes I lose some formatting, however. I haven't found a way around this yet. If you find one, let me know. I don't like the fact that the paste is a hyperlink without asking.

Thanks

I just experienced this today, putting together a collection of real estate scouting maps. By default, Word pastes a hyperlink. I ended up using a right-click copy on the map, pasting into Paint, annotate with MLS number, ctrl-A select, paste into Word. Of course, in Word, it is an embedded OLE object, so I have to unlink it using ctrl-shift-F9. "There must be a better way."

If you don't need to annotate the image, you can use Edit, Paste Special, but then the "Device Independent Bitmap" is in the drawing layer. Best would be a custom macro to paste as a picture; I think there was one posted around here somewhere a few weeks back. Or maybe it was in WOW. Since I don't use ctrl-P to print, I might assign it to ctrl-P (for "paste picture").