Lounger
    Thanks

Wife's HP laptop battery problem

My wife bought a 17" HP Pavilion in August of '11. Worked fine until this morning when she tried to boot it up. (I had unplugged the power to it the night before, thinking that she logged off/powered off).

Situation: When she tries to turn it on with the battery installed, and the power plugged in, it does not start - - at all.

When I told her to take the battery out (after unplugging it) and replug it to power, then attempt to power the laptop on, it boots up normally.

My first thought was that the battery had been completely depleted and would require about 30 minutes to recharge enough to work properly, but such is not the case. It still will not power up the computer with the battery inserted.

I strongly suspect that the battery is toast, but would like to know if there is a way to troubleshoot the battery? Problem is, the laptop won't start up with the battery inserted, so i can't troubleshoot it - at least I can't think of a way to do so.

Help appreciated.
    Last edited by TerryR40; 2013-04-12 at 18:37.

Thanks
    If your laptop suddenly stops cooperating, you can usually determine if a bad battery is causing the problem by removing it from its bay (on the bottom or side of the laptop) and running the laptop from the AC adapter only. If the batteryless laptop runs properly when connected to the adapter, the battery has most likely kicked the bucket, shuffled off its mortal coil, and otherwise become defunct.
    If all else fails.Go to your favorite search site,type in laptop battery.
    Last edited by chowur; 2013-04-13 at 02:25.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounger
    Thanks
    you can usually determine if a bad battery is causing the problem by removing it from its bay (on the bottom or side of the laptop) and running the laptop from the AC adapter only. If the batteryless laptop runs properly when connected to the adapter, the battery has most likely kicked the bucket
    The bolded portion above seems to be the case...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I just now checked the battery after charging it overnight, and it seems to be at full charge.
    Am checking to see how long the battery will perform before becoming depleted, but it's looking good now.

I had never seen a battery become totally drained before, because when it hits a certain point, protective hibernation is supposed to kick in to protect it - - Or at least that was my understanding.