2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Spybot search and destroy and windows 8 don't play well together

I downloaded and installed the new Spybot version 2 on my brand new Gateway windows 8 laptop. During installation it asked if I wanted to create a "Whitelist" to speed up scans. I agreed and the program created the "whitelist"; it took about 16 hours. I ran a scan after all of that and the scan took over two hours. Thinking that was a fluke, I waited a couple of days and started another scan. Spybot predicted the scan would take 140 minutes, so I stopped it. The old spybot was not a speed demon on my other computers, but a scan would still only take about 20 minutes.

My guess is that it doesn't play well with Windows 8.

Thanks
    I understand and sympathize with what you're saying, but.....
    First, do not use the NEW Spybot S&D. It's really not at all user friendly.
    The older ver. 1.6.2 is the one to use.

Then, after you install it, and let it put a shortcut on the desktop, first right click on the shortcut and "run maximized' and then "Run as Administrator". Then it will run just fine, on Windows 8.
    DO NOT let the installer Install the Tea Timer app. It's a real PITA.

Also, it's always been a tech tool, regardless of how else it was advertised. So, the Installation and Setup, which is not at all intuitive, is critical for the proper operation of the program. Once setup and run correctly, it's one heck of a good Anti-Spyware/Adware program.
    I wrote up a complete Setup tutorial (instructions) and put that file on my website at: http://www.drwho.in

I've installed it and use it weekly on all my own PC's and I install it for all my customers. I provide them with a full sheet of printed instructions on how to get updates, do the immunization and then do a scan. Updates are posted to the website on Wednesday of every week, so I suggest getting those updates every Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. Then Immunize and scan.
    The operating instructions take a full page, so I won't post them here, but if you want them, drop me a PM.

Cheers Mate!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

caveman144 (2013-04-20)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't tried 1.6.2 on Windows 8, but I ran it regularly on my Windows 7 machines. I did not see a download link for the older version, but I didn't look for it either. I will now. Thanks for the info DrWho.