2 Star Lounger
    Benson, AZ USA

Task manager has disappeared in Win 7

Hi folks,
    I've searched and have found nothing on this topic. I use "task manager" from a short cut on the desktop. Recently (a week ago) I started getting a notice when I used my short cut that "task manager" could not be found, Con+Alt+Delete shows the splash screen and clicking on Open Task Manager does nothing. After "googling" it I followed some suggestions, go to regedit and drill down HKEY_CURRENT\Software|Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer sion\Polices\ (I don't have the "System" which is the next level????) In polices I found only, ab (Default) REG_SZ value not set) ??? I next went to event viewer and found warnings for all the times I tried using my short cut or C+A+Del. Event viewer explained it as (The Windows logon process has failed to spawn a user application. Application name: taskmgr.exe. Command line parameters: taskmgr.exe /3). Googling (ab (Default) REG_SZ value not set) has everything from Trojans to key loggers but nothing that made any sense to me (newbi). I've scanned with my anti virus, Malwarebytes and online scanners, nothing so far. Now the strangest thing, I once again tried the short cut and (bingo,) task manager opened. I drilled down again in regedit and nothing had changed there, go figure.I looked at "Win Internals, but I'm to much of a newbi to understand all that stuff. Then, I said to myself, "This is a job for WS Lounge, because if it happened once, the law is, it will happen again. Now, if you folks can understand my ramblings, I'm open to any suggestions and thanks to any who expend any brain power on this strange issue. Stan

Polk County, Florida
    Open an Administrators level Command Prompt (right-click and Run as administrator) and type

sfc /scannow

and let it run. That will determine if you have any corrupt or missing system files.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows